St Mary GA to Stuart FL


Advertisement
North America » United States » Florida » Stuart
December 11th 2010
Published: December 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This may come as a shock to many of you but due to circumstances beyond my control (Janice has tendonitis in her right wrist) I have been dragged kicking and screaming out of the engine room and in front of the computer. Were it not for the Dr. I would suspect a set up by my lovely wife. So anyway here we go. Last report you had was from our outstanding Thanksgiving dinner in St. Mary's. The Satu... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

St. Augustine old townSt. Augustine old town
St. Augustine old town

This is a good example of both new construction and old construction. The downstairs of this building was a museum showing what Holmes looked like in the 1700s, the upstairs was a lawyer's office and the addition on the back of the building was a restaurant.
St. Augustine Fort built in 1672St. Augustine Fort built in 1672
St. Augustine Fort built in 1672

This is the back side of the Fort which borders on the city. The first Fort built when the Spanish first arrived was made of blocks and dirt. After repeated attacks by pirates and the British, the Spanish decided to build a more substantial Fort protecting their colony. Repeatedly the British attacked but never succeeded in taking over St. Augustine. Pirates were a significant problem but with the building of the Fort St. Augustine was able to prosper as one of the major ports in this period of Florida's history.
St. Augustine old villageSt. Augustine old village
St. Augustine old village

The city of St. Augustine has done an extremely good job of integrating the commercial area into the tourist area. Museums and carefully restored old homes are situated between carefully designed and built new structures which maintain the look of the old city but give businesses locations to establish themselves. Throughout the city streets are very narrow and there is little to no traffic allowed on many of the streets. At night we were able to walk throughout the city visiting art galleries and restaurants.
Blocked railroad bridgeBlocked railroad bridge
Blocked railroad bridge

This bridge is supposed to be open all the time unfortunately they decided to work on it on this day and didn't tell anyone until we were about 10 minutes away. We had to drop anchor and wait for 45 minutes.
Daytona Beach skylineDaytona Beach skyline
Daytona Beach skyline

Tied up in a great marina in the city of Halifax. Daytona Beach is right next door.
Kennedy statueKennedy statue
Kennedy statue

This statue commemorates John Kennedy's decision to fund the Apollo space program and put a man on the moon. During this period of time Titusville was a boomtown. Unfortunately with the recent cuts in the space program Titusville is having a hard time. We saw a lot of empty storefronts.
Rocket launchRocket launch
Rocket launch

Space X. Corp. in cooperation with Kennedy space Center fired a rocket with a capsule which went into work at went around the world twice and reentered and landed in the Pacific, this was apparently a big deal even though I thought we did that a few times already. But apparently Space X. Corp. did it very inexpensively now for the space program that is a big deal.
OspreyOsprey
Osprey

The number of Osprey and bald eagles we have seen on the ICW is amazing. This Osprey was seated on the top of the mast on the boat next to us.
HerronHerron
Herron

Of all the birds these are the most common from the Erie Canal all the way to Florida. Actually I think I've seen this one before on lock 18 if I'm not mistaken but you know Herron they all look alike.



19th December 2010

We always enjoy your blog entries and sorry Bob, but you did a great job. Hopefully Janice will be able to take over soon. Would love to see the video on Janice's facebook page.Take care, keep in touch and Happy Holidays and be safe.
19th December 2010

Wow...love the history!
Hi Bob and Janice, Sorry to say Bob, but I love the history and information you are sharing! Kevin and I hope that you feel better soon and that Janice's tendinitous clears up quickly. We continue to live vicariously through your adventures! Beautiful pictures. Hope you have a very Happy Holiday!!
20th December 2010

caught up with you!!
Alanna passed us your blog link and now I am subscribed. Read all the way through all of your entries while sitting at the front deak at the Lab of O in a pretty snowfall today. We've had a cold December after a warm October/november, but then you've heard that from others I'm sure. Many of the stories you tell remind me of our trips through the canals of Canada on the tri and the Carver. It was fun to follow along and we'll definitely stay in touch now. One good thing -- you have to admit. Tom Fowler will never say to you again "Are you taking care of MY BOAT??" Many happy holiday wishes. we too may be in FL in Feb/March, headed to see state parks, maybe as far south as the keys. Byt hen, you will be in the Islands, eh?
21st December 2010

Have a great holiday.
Sounds like a lot of fun except Janices tendonnitus(sp) and Bobs blog writing, which was terrible (your welcome Bob - but just kidding). Have a great holiday and we enjoys traveling in a sail boat through you guys. Jay & Veronica

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb