St Mary GA to Stuart FL


Advertisement
North America » United States » Florida » Stuart
December 11th 2010
Published: December 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This may come as a shock to many of you but due to circumstances beyond my control (Janice has tendonitis in her right wrist) I have been dragged kicking and screaming out of the engine room and in front of the computer. Were it not for the Dr. I would suspect a set up by my lovely wife. So anyway here we go. Last report you had was from our outstanding Thanksgiving dinner in St. Mary's. The Satu... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Flagler College CourtyardFlagler College Courtyard
Flagler College Courtyard

Flagler built this structure using a new technique for the time called poured concrete. The aggregate for his concrete was seashells. All of the red detail is terra-cotta which was either made in Europe and shipped to the United States or handcrafted by European artisans brought to the United States by Flagler.
EntrancewayEntranceway
Entranceway

This is what you see when you step from the courtyard into the building. Everything is impeccable quality and hand done. The carvings which make up the four pillars supporting the dome are comprised each of four women standing back to back. Each of these women have noticeably different features and hairstyles.
Looking up in the EntrancewayLooking up in the Entranceway
Looking up in the Entranceway

Hand painted dome in the entranceway to Flagler College.
ArtworkArtwork
Artwork

In the entrance way of Flagler College there is a dome which was painted entirely by hand. Once again the detail was amazing. This is but one of the eight female figures representing the four seasons and the four virtues.
TiffanyTiffany
Tiffany

This chandelier is one of many which hang in the women's lounge of the old hotel. When visitors first arrived at the hotel while the menfolk registered and paid the bill (in the fall upon arrival) the women would move to the ladies lounge which was decorated with this Tiffany chandelier and original artwork from the masters of the period. This room is now used as a lecture hall by Flagler College.
Mosaic in the floor of the entrance way.Mosaic in the floor of the entrance way.
Mosaic in the floor of the entrance way.

Apparently Flagler was the son of a minister. When building the hotel he went to great lengths to make sure that everything was perfect. However his religious background told him that only God could make things perfect so therefore he had the person making the mosaic include a flaw in the pattern. Around this central large dark circle there are a series of black triangles. If you look at the one at the top of the picture you will notice it does not have a small white piece at the bottom. This was Flagler's built in flaw.
Tiffany stained-glass in the dining roomTiffany stained-glass in the dining room
Tiffany stained-glass in the dining room

This is one of the many Windows done by Tiffany throughout the hotel. At this point in Tiffany's career he was little known. Considering the fact that the people who came to this hotel (Rockerfeller, Carnegnie,etc) came by private invitation from Flagler himself, you could imagine Tiffany was eager to be involved. It is said that this was the project that made Tiffany.
Flagler College dining roomFlagler College dining room
Flagler College dining room

The entrance to the dining room/ballroom. This room is currently used by the college as a student's dining room. And they tell us tuition with room and board is about $21,000 a year. The tour guide also pointed out that Flagler is consistently on Princeton's list of top 20 colleges in the United States.
Governor’s  residenceGovernor’s  residence
Governor’s residence

As part of the reenactment of the trial and sentencing of four of the signers of the Declaration of Independence (remember Florida was not one of the original colonies and did not join the union until 1821) the governor spoke to the members of the St. Augustine community and proclaimed the sentence of the four traitors.
Reenactment campReenactment camp
Reenactment camp

The tent and everything in it is carefully handcrafted to match the time period. Even down to the tankards they’re drinking out of and the game they are playing on the small table.
Everybody needs a hobbyEverybody needs a hobby
Everybody needs a hobby

This is one of the re-enactors we saw at St. Augustine. His boots were handstitched and even his glasses were handmade the way they would have been in the 1700s.
Guards at governor's residenceGuards at governor's residence
Guards at governor's residence

As part of the reenactment these guards were placed at the entrance to the governor's residence. The detail these people go to to maintain the period is impressive.
Reenactment Supply StoreReenactment Supply Store
Reenactment Supply Store

Anything you could possibly want to be part of the reenactment is sold by these people. You can see the red coats (British Army uniforms) made by hand with handmade brass buttons.
Christmas decorations downtownChristmas decorations downtown
Christmas decorations downtown

St. Augustine decorated for the holidays giving us a chance to get into the Christmas spirit
St. Augustine fountainSt. Augustine fountain
St. Augustine fountain

One of the things we love about St. Augustine and the Spanish influence are the fountains.
St. Augustine sailing ship reproductionSt. Augustine sailing ship reproduction
St. Augustine sailing ship reproduction

This sailing ship is a reproduction of one of the many blockade runners which were used during the Revolutionary war.
Bob waiting for the pump out boatBob waiting for the pump out boat
Bob waiting for the pump out boat

St. Augustine Marina has a boat that will go around and pump out your holding tank. Unfortunately they work on southern time - something Bob is learning to live with.
St. Augustine lift bridge – The Bridge of LionsSt. Augustine lift bridge – The Bridge of Lions
St. Augustine lift bridge – The Bridge of Lions

Continually along the ICW there are bridges. St. Augustine has by far the most beautiful of all the bridges we've seen. It is named the Bridge of Lions. They have gone to great lengths to maintain the architectural style of the bridge. We anchored within 500 yards of this bridge while in St. Augustine.



19th December 2010

We always enjoy your blog entries and sorry Bob, but you did a great job. Hopefully Janice will be able to take over soon. Would love to see the video on Janice's facebook page.Take care, keep in touch and Happy Holidays and be safe.
19th December 2010

Wow...love the history!
Hi Bob and Janice, Sorry to say Bob, but I love the history and information you are sharing! Kevin and I hope that you feel better soon and that Janice's tendinitous clears up quickly. We continue to live vicariously through your adventures! Beautiful pictures. Hope you have a very Happy Holiday!!
20th December 2010

caught up with you!!
Alanna passed us your blog link and now I am subscribed. Read all the way through all of your entries while sitting at the front deak at the Lab of O in a pretty snowfall today. We've had a cold December after a warm October/november, but then you've heard that from others I'm sure. Many of the stories you tell remind me of our trips through the canals of Canada on the tri and the Carver. It was fun to follow along and we'll definitely stay in touch now. One good thing -- you have to admit. Tom Fowler will never say to you again "Are you taking care of MY BOAT??" Many happy holiday wishes. we too may be in FL in Feb/March, headed to see state parks, maybe as far south as the keys. Byt hen, you will be in the Islands, eh?
21st December 2010

Have a great holiday.
Sounds like a lot of fun except Janices tendonnitus(sp) and Bobs blog writing, which was terrible (your welcome Bob - but just kidding). Have a great holiday and we enjoys traveling in a sail boat through you guys. Jay & Veronica

Tot: 0.503s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 31; qc: 127; dbt: 0.1907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb