Riding in the rain

United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Panama City
February 2nd 2009
Published: March 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

John & Mary RodeJohn & Mary RodeJohn & Mary Rode

A hospitable invitation to stay a few cold nights in Panama City Beach
February 2 Monday

Rain started in around midnight, we awoke to more rain. Weather called for a band of rain to move across our intended route all day, with temps in 40's We discussed holing up for the day, but forecast for Tuesday called for snow showers ! We loaded up and decided to tough it out. I really felt we needed to get south as soon as we could. We had a minor problem with the left tank pannier, the zipper foot had pulled out and it was not holding. Off to Wal-Mart for safety pins, straps and various Velcro pieces. I pinned the zipper opening closed and it looked to be a good fix. We took off at around 12:05p in the rain. My left heated glove was not operating, must be a jacket problem, as the left liner glove didn't work either a few weeks ago. Further along the cold and rainy ride I noticed the glove controller was not working at all. Both gloves became waterlogged. The jacket was warm and toasty however. We stopped in Montgomery for coffee and soup at Shashy's Bakery & Fine Food. Good shrimp gumbo style soup, and a great cheesecake/brownie for desert. Continuing on, as the Montgomery AL forecast called for snow also, we toughed it out with one gas/coffee stop all the way to Panama City Beach FL, where we had an invitation from John and Mary Rode, through Jerry and Judy Pearson, to stay with them at a rented house. We arrived about 1 1/2 hours after sunset, cold and wet. What a relief to be able to ride the bike into a garage, and get things drying out. We visited a bit with them, then headed for our guest bed.

February 3, Tuesday

Slept late, then up for coffee with John and Mary Rode, Jerry and Judy Pearson. I dropped Deb off at the Pier Point Mall for a few hours using Judy’s GMC Jimmy. I returned and worked on a few maintenance details on Bear. Found the gray heater control unplugged. The xm antenna had apparently fixed itself. I also did a little washing. I met Deb for coffee at the mall area, then we returned. The road along the beach was very pretty. Supper was at Appleby’s. Spent another night at John and Mary’s rented house.


Tot: 2.215s; Tpl: 0.059s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0383s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb