Disney, Safari and the wonderful world of Mickey Mouse??


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orlando
July 9th 2015
Published: July 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Every company in the world should have lessons in customer service and organisation from Disney. Everything at Disney is an experience, from the car park to the intricate queuing systems - no boring chained lines to walk through, everything tells a story.

Anyone who knows me well will know that I am pretty much obsessed with all things Disney and the worlds most famous mouse so it was with great excitement that I entered the first Disney park of our holiday - Animal Kingdom. We have many great memories from our last visit here with the Shears family, including breaking down on the Dinosaur ride and spending half an hour trying to get everyone to join in our Mexican wave, whipping our hair back and forth to Willow Smith and rolling on the floor laughing when Oliver smashed his nuts into a post while trying to leapfrog over it but failing miserably! We miss you guys so much ?

Our Dinosaur ride was a success this time and we managed to ride the Expedition Everest twice before the queues got too big. The Kilimanjaro Safari is a must at this park. A ride on an authentic safari truck takes you through the African Savanna. It's probably the closest you can get to a real African Safari, and is a great way to see the animals roaming around close up. A stop for lunch at Yak and Yeti to cool down in the air con and eat the biggest salad ever (gotta love American salads) before getting to the front of the queue on the Kali River Rapids once it re-opened after a 'technical difficulty'. I'm a bit dubious when they say this - the last time we waited at a ride for it to re-open after technical difficulties was because Lady Gaga was on the ride - they closed it so she could ride alone!
Lily couldn't wait to get on the rapids ride, hoping to get wet and cool down - she lucked out as the raft hit the bottom of a descent and buckets full of water landed directly on her head! Her next words - 'I'm too cold'.

A wander around the exploration trail to have a look at the stunning silverback gorillas (and a very cute baby one) was next on the agenda before heading to the Tree of Life, the iconic centrepiece of Animal Kingdom. The tree is man made and stands at 145 feet tall with 325 animals carved into the trunk and topped with 103,000 leaves.

We managed to leave the park just before a wild storm hit but not before purchasing some Mickey goodies and Izzy re-enacting Oli's nut smash! We were hoping for a quick swim in the pool when we got home, Izzy is desperate to smash out a few laps but with her recent A in science, she now knows all about electricity and gave us a stern talking to about how not to fry in a pool during a lightning storm!

Downtown Disney was on the cards for dinner with a juicy steak at The Boathouse. Several cocktails later and a visit to the biggest Disney store in the world and I was in heaven!! Mickey goodies were everywhere and my family were ready to disown me! Ok so maybe 15 and 11 are a little too old for Elsa and Anna dresses!! Two hats later (to add to the hundreds of hats I have bought everywhere I have been, and never wear) and some Minnie ears for my friend and it was time to get our little sleep queen home to bed. Long day tomorrow at Magic Kingdom - The Happiest Place on Earth ?



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



10th July 2015

Now that was a good day
Really really miss you now :( I think when we were there with you it was one of the funniest days i have had in my life - EVER !! XXX

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb