A Day in London


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orlando
June 22nd 2007
Published: June 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

What a full day in London - and what a great day we had. We started with an early breakfast at our hotel, cleaned up and then walked to Buckingham Palace to get a good view of the changing of the guard. We joined several hundreds of our best friends who had already found the "perfect" spot, but one spot opened up for us - along the crowd control fence/gate at the first of three gates leading into the palace. Amidst a light intermittent drizzle, we people watched, listened to all kind of languages, talked to the police trying to keep the growing crowd either behind certain barriers or moving along, and waited for the parade. The marching band of the first wave of guards came playing some great music and then turned into the first gate, so we were within touching distance of the first group. Then the next band and troops came up the road and went into the 3rd palace gate. After the 1/2 hour exchange and ceremony behind the gate along with a marvelous 10 minute band concert (Summertime, "Stayin' Alive," some other cool songs) and then the final exchange of regiments and the old guard came out the middle gate. We had moved close to that area, so we had a great view. Then we walked to Westminster Abbey to tour this 1000 year old building and inside graveyard. Really, amazing. After that we had lunch across the street from the Abbey at Wesley's cafeteria in the Methodist Conference Centre. This beautiful building was erected in 1912. Beautiful building, beautiful staircase, great stories. After lunch we got on one of the open air tour buses and began an excellent city tour, getting off at St. Paul's cathedral (where Diana and Charles were married) and then again at the Tower of London where we saw some of the royal jewels as well as some ancient armor and artifacts. Back on the bus and off to the River Thames for a 45-minute boat ride with some great commentary so we knew what we were looking at! Back to the hotel area where we cleaned up and then walked to a lovely Italian restaurant. Ate about 9 p.m. and it was still fairly light out.

Now we're home for the night - a shower soon to get the day's grime off and to get some heat on a few aches and pains from all the walking the past two days.

Tommorrow we go through the re-created Globe Theatre and Shakespeare museum and then across town to Harrod's, Kensington Palace and Gardens. At 3:30 we have tea with Elizabeth Hoyt Griffith and her girls. Not sure what's up for tomorrow night. The Chaney's pick us up around 11 on Sunday morning. We are so glad we did the tourist thing before we see them, so they don't have to spend all of their time going to the top ten London attractions. I have a feeling they have seen them many times.

Hope everyone is well. Love to all. Mom and Dad, Geri and Lee

Advertisement



23rd June 2007

Wow - sounds like fun!
You know how to fill a day, that's for sure. So glad you are seeing some of the sights and really getting a feel for London. We miss you!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb