Lazing Around on Island Time


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Long Key
January 19th 2013
Published: January 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

DragonDragonDragon

Can you see the dragon? It's right across the street from our campsite. Look at the black clouds in the background.
Saturday, 19 January, 2013

Thursday morning was cloudy, but we left early for Marathon hoping for the best. We stopped at the Visitor Center on Vaca Key, where we picked up some postcards and brochures. It had started raining on the way, but stopped just as we were pulling into the VC. We were hopeful that was the last of the rain for the day, but it didn’t work out that way. By the time we reached the ball field, it was raining steadily and big puddles filled the infield. There were a few cars there, but no one was getting out in the rain, until Bobby got out and declared the morning a washout.

We then went to Home Depot and fiddled around there, trying to come up with a solution to a minor leak in our bathroom. Then it was Winn Dixie for a few groceries and on to the Shell Man to look for what we didn’t need. We had fun looking around there and picked up a couple of things for Jenna’s birthday. By the time we got back to the campground, the rain was done for the day and the wind had shifted. The
Bob and GenaBob and GenaBob and Gena

They look like they are floating in mid-air, it was so calm and tranquil out there.
ocean was calm, so Bob and Gena put the canoe in and went out to try to catch fish again, hating that they’d been skunked so far. This time they did catch some fish and, though they threw them back, they were happy to be able to say they caught fish in the Keys.

Thursday night, as many of you may know, is 25 cent wing night at the Hurricane. We were there by 5:30 to take advantage of happy hour before ordering 3 dozen wings for the 4 of us along with a nice platter of fries. We were not disappointed, the wings were great.

We played cards after dinner, enjoying our fun on our last night together of this trip.

Friday morning, Bob and Gena were out pretty early in order to make the distance they wanted with the stops they had planned. We hated to see them leave.

We went back into Marathon to run a few errands, then came back to camp and relaxed. Kerry did get the leak fixed and we visited a bit with Don and Ruth Anne in the next campsite before the cool temperatures chased us indoors. We
LizardLizardLizard

Showing off his pretty chin
slept under the quilt, but were a bit too warm by morning.

This morning we rode our bicycles through the campground (it’s only one fairly straight road.) We then rode through the day use area and to the boardwalk/nature trail and back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

EgretEgret
Egret

This guy was after lizards, we think. He was not the least bit worried about our proximity.
KayakerKayaker
Kayaker

There was a group of kayakers that camped in the day use area overnight. This morning they all paddle by. This one got a little help from his umbrella.
KayaksKayaks
Kayaks

I'd call this cheating, wouldn't you?
Mangrove thicket.Mangrove thicket.
Mangrove thicket.

It's pretty dense in there.
JetsJets
Jets

These guys were flying by over the ocean when we got back from our bike ride.


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.1106s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb