Fishless Fishing, but Fish for Supper


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Long Key
January 16th 2013
Published: January 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Gone FishingGone FishingGone Fishing

Bob and Gena's empty chairs
Wednesday, 16 January, 2013

Monday morning we got up early and enjoyed the sun coming up over the Atlantic Ocean. Bob and Gena were already out fishing, but had left their chairs behind at our campsite. Once they got back (fishless) we had breakfast together. Later we all went across the road where Gena, Bob and Kerry waded out into the Bay and fished some more. Bob caught the only fish, a small barracuda and a small lizard fish. Late in the afternoon Bob and Gena waded out into the ocean and fished some more, still no fish.

Tuesday we were up early again. I love watching the sun rise while drinking my coffee and enjoying the ocean breezes. Then to the ballfield for softball, where I kept the score book for the first half of the game. Everyone played a bit better than Sunday and were again a bit stiff afterwards. We had lunch at the Hurricane before heading back to camp. We checked out a fishing spot recommended by Alex, and Bob, Gena and Kerry went back there after getting their fishing gear and dropping me at camp. Alas, still no fish.

Bob and Gena left
The three fisherfolkThe three fisherfolkThe three fisherfolk

Fishing in Florida Bay
before sunrise this morning to try again to catch some fish for dinner tonight. They took their canoe and went to Alex’s secret fishing spot, but …wait for it… still no fish. So after breakfast we drove into Marathon. There we stopped first at Keys Fisheries and bought some fish for supper. Then on to Boot Key Harbor, where we showed Bob and Gena around. We were happy to see our sign is still up, as is Sara and Trevor’s. Then it was a drive to Sombrero Beach before a quick trip to the grocery before heading back to the campground.

After lunch (avocado salad,) Gena and I walked the beach looking for sea beans and other treasures from the sea. As I write this, Bob is frying fish, so another delicious dinner is coming up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Bob's big catchBob's big catch
Bob's big catch

a small barracuda
Gena did catch a fishGena did catch a fish
Gena did catch a fish

This is one she scooped out of a tidal pool.
Tuesday morning sunriseTuesday morning sunrise
Tuesday morning sunrise

view from our back porch
Gena at batGena at bat
Gena at bat

Bob at catcher
Bob running to first baseBob running to first base
Bob running to first base

Tuesday morning softball
Kerry at batKerry at bat
Kerry at bat

Bob catching
Boot Key HarborBoot Key Harbor
Boot Key Harbor

Our signs are still there
Boot Key HarborBoot Key Harbor
Boot Key Harbor

Down there is where our boat was 2 years ago.
Sombrero BeachSombrero Beach
Sombrero Beach

Such a pretty spot.


17th January 2013

Water looks beautiful and you are right Charlie, what could be prettier than watching the sun come up over the Atlantic?
17th January 2013

Blah!!!
Sometimes I really hate you guys. ;) Just kidding. Wish we were there!
18th January 2013

Great Post
Love this post - question - what are "sea beans" and what do you do with them?
19th January 2013

Sea Beans
Sea Beans are seed that float up with the tide and waves. Many of them come from the islands of the Bahamas and some even from the Caribbean. You can look them up at seabean.com

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb