Test your HP knowledge (Contest)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Kissimmee
April 23rd 2015
Published: June 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

UniversalUniversalUniversal

Universal
Geo: 28.3467, -81.4801

This is our last day in Orlando and we're awakened by rolling thunder and rain splashing on the patio outside. Noooo....this is going to be our last day at Universal. We have plans and getting drenched was not one of them!

We talk about going out to breakfast to give the storm a chance to pass when we realize that it is already after eleven. Instead of going out we make coffee and set out the tortillas, hummus and cucumber; chop up a little lettuce and tomato and have an odd brunch.

The rain has stopped by the time we get to the park and we're glad about that. Our first ride is "Despicable Me." The wait for this ride has never been less than 55 minutes any time we've looked and we agree that since we want to see it, and since it's our last day...we troop into line. Happily the line area is covered because about 20 minutes later the skies open again. This rain makes Monday's downpour look like a light sprinkle. Maybe it will clear up before we are done with Despicable Me.

The ride was great fun, but when we exited, the rain had
It was wet - but not for long...It was wet - but not for long...It was wet - but not for long...

It was wet - but not for long
not stopped. In fact, it looked even harder. I would not have been surprised to see a parade of animals coming down the street in twos! We hung out under the awnings for a while hoping the rain would slow and after 35 minutes or so, it did.
Naturally we had our ponchos and we joined the throngs of flapping, plastic covered bodies moving through the park. If you plan a trip to Orlando, be sure to bring ponchos. The full kind that you slip over your head, not the ones with snaps on the sides as those blow open and you get wet. Umbrellas are unwieldy and useless if it gets windy.

Within the hour the sun came out and the temperature began rising. We took off our ponchos (or 'steamer bags' as I started calling them) and enjoyed a gorgeous, sunny, hot day! The sidewalks soon steamed dry and after a bit even my sneakers were dry. Happy we brought the sunscreen - being optimistic prevents sunburns.

The rain did much to diminish the crowds. That, plus the fact the today is listed as a "slow" day on Jeff's website, meant we had short, fast lines for all the
Minions rule!Minions rule!Minions rule!

Minions rule!
rides. It was great! We took the Hogwart's Express sharing our train compartment with two Asian (Korean?) teens who were completely enthralled with the train ride. One kept touching the window almost to make sure that it really was pretend. Sharing our compartment with them was great, and it made the experience more magical for us. We rode the Harry Potter ride in Hogsmeade and walked about a bit, then got back on the train to return to London.

Jeff listed the attractions that we knew we wanted to see on his phone and was checking them off (deleting them) as the day went on. Disaster? Check. Transformers? Check. Check. Yes, we got off the Transformers ride, dashed around to the entrance to ride it again! We talked about how it might have been even better is we knew anything about the Transformers story. Haha
Two big kids having a great time.
Mummy? Check. Check. (GREAT roller coaster)

As the day began to wind down, we headed back to Diagon Alley. We want to finish our trip in a magical place. We ride "Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringott's" one last time. I have my photo taken with the conductor
Optimus Prime in the fleshOptimus Prime in the fleshOptimus Prime in the flesh

Optimus Prime in the flesh. Ah..in the metal?
of the night bus, and take some photos of Pokey and Gumby. A small crowd of people gather as we pose them in various places. It's funny to be garnering so much attention. One person asks if we're doing a book! Haha. No, we explain, they just travel with us and get upset if they aren't part of the experience.

The final item on our "to-do list: buy ice cream in Florian Fortescu's shop.

CONTEST!!

Be the first person to answer this question correctly and I will send you a bag of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans

Question: What flavor of ice cream cone did I get at Florian Fortescu's?
HINT: it was the flavor and toppings that Hagrid bought Harry during his ever first trip to Diagon Alley.

We enjoyed our cones (Jeff had salted caramel) and watched as the dragon atop Gringott's breathed fire one last time.

The park closes at 7pm and at 7:20 we join the crowds walking to the parking garages
What a fun time we've had.

Returning to the condo, we stop to fill the gas tank, and then make a quick stop at Walmart. We don't have anything for breakfast tomorrow and we
Pokey and Gumby surfingPokey and Gumby surfingPokey and Gumby surfing

Pokey and Gumby surfing
want to take sandwiches on our trip home. Oh, and I buy new earphones to replace mine that have mysteriously disappeared.

Back at the condo, we start to scurry around. Jeff makes rotini to mix with our leftover pasta sauce while I go print our boarding passes. Our flight leaves Orlando at 7:30 so we will need to get up around 4:45 and leave the condo by 5:15. I set up the coffee pot so we don't have to mess with it in the morning.

We pack, clean out the few leftovers in the refrigerator, finish the wine, Jeff showers while I put together our traveling lunches - sandwiches, apples, a piece of dark chocolate each and an orange to share.

I lay out my clothes for the morning. What's this in the shirt pocket? My lost earbuds!! That figures! Oh well, now I have two pair.

Finally, about midnight we head for bed.

** ** **
Thank you for reading my blog! I hope you have enjoyed traveling with Jeff, Gumby, Pokey and me. I've enjoyed relating our adventures (triumphs and mishaps!) and hope you'll come with us again on a future trip.

Cheers!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Jeff and Jane on Hagrid's "motorbike"Jeff and Jane on Hagrid's "motorbike"
Jeff and Jane on Hagrid's "motorbike"

Jeff and Jane on Hagrid's "motorbike"
Gumby and Pokey and a mermaidGumby and Pokey and a mermaid
Gumby and Pokey and a mermaid

Gumby and Pokey and a mermaid
In front of HogwartsIn front of Hogwarts
In front of Hogwarts

In front of Hogwarts
Yum! Yum!
Yum!

Yum!
Jane and not Stan ShunpikeJane and not Stan Shunpike
Jane and not Stan Shunpike

Jane and not Stan Shunpike


26th April 2015

And the winner of the contest is...Janet Smith of Chesterfield, MO!
29th April 2015

Go for it!
29th April 2015

Love to see the sunshine, finally!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb