Jacksonville


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Jacksonville
April 30th 2008
Published: April 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Campground at Hannah ParkCampground at Hannah ParkCampground at Hannah Park

Old time FL look as you wander the roads in the campground
We left Hilton Head Saturday and drove to Jacksonville, FL to see our son and daughter-in-law. The original plan was to camp at the county park in Jacksonville, Kathryn Abby Hannah, right on the Atlantic with both kids. Unfortunately Jen had to study for a test, but Josh came to spend the night and show us around the park. We had a great site, enjoyed relaxing and having smores and then the next day packed up and left. Hannah Park is camping the way it used to be with tents and RVs co-mingled and trees and foliage making you feel you were in old time Florida.

We went to a little restaurant in Mayport, Singleton’s, for seafood lunch. We had eaten here a couple of times before and enjoyed the seafood, view of the boats on the St. Johns River, and friendly staff. Then we drove to Josh’s house for a few nights. It was good to see Jen and have a barbecue of chicken and fresh shrimp on the grill, corn on the cob, and beans.

The next morning (Monday) Jen went to work and John began calling around to get the RV in for service. We had heard a squeaking noise from the right front wheel and fearing a problem with either brakes or bearings, wanted it looked at. I finally found a dealer who would take us, so we took the RV into Jacksonville and left it. There were two steep incline and we again scrapped the one tail light on the motorcycle carrier going in. Oh well, I had the replacement and would take care of it either later that day or the next. Josh took us around to some store for shopping and we picked up things we knew we could only get in FL. After lunch out and walking around a mall, I got a call from the dealer to say that the bearings needed repacked and it was almost done. But in taking the RV out for a test to hear the noise, the technician had hit the steep incline and broken the other tail light. After brief discussion, we agreed if I brought in two taillights, they would mount them for free. Tail light = $7, Labor = $80/hour, not having to figure it out = priceless. So we hustled off to an auto parts store, got the taillight and Josh
Dinner at Clark's Fish CampDinner at Clark's Fish CampDinner at Clark's Fish Camp

Look at the sampler plate. Notice the animals in the background.
dropped us off at the dealer. They still had a lot to do on the wheel, but finally finished. I spoke to the technician and told him I had looked for brackets to raise the taillights up, but couldn’t find any. He agreed that would help. We waited....and waited....and waited. Finally went back to the RV from the waiting room and since the wheel was finished, sat in the RV and read. Technician was working on the taillights and had fabricated brackets that raised the lights up. He did this on his own and it was wonderful! He ended up putting the lights on lying on a crawler in the rain. I held an umbrella for him a couple of times, but eventually, he gave up and stepped inside the garage to wait out the downpour. After a long 6 hours, we finally left with safe wheels, properly mounted taillights for the motorcycle carrier, and about $250 lighter in the wallet. But it was worth it.

We hustled back to Josh’s and cleaned up and changed. Then we drove to Clarks’ Fish Camp in Mandarin. We have been there many times, but this is a spot you have to
Fixing the tentFixing the tentFixing the tent

Josh looking as as Trish mends a small rip in the tent. We put it up in his backyard.
see. It is an old fish camp with stuffed animals from everywhere mounted on the walls and around the rooms. There are African lions, wolves, otters, skunks, monkeys, alligators, and more. The rustic woodwork and the view of the creek with alligators feeding in the pools are incredible. But you come for the food and you won’t be disappointed. Trish and I shared a “sampler” we each had a stuffed crab, there were 2 large pieces of fish, loads of fried clams, oysters and scallops. Included were hushpuppies and two sides—per person. No we couldn’t finish. Especially since we started with fried dill pickle slices for an appetizer. Besides, we needed room for dessert. If you ever get to Jacksonville, FL, don’t miss this great spot.

Tuesday we picked up groceries for the next week of camping and then got our old tent out of Josh’s storage to set it up and make some repairs to the canvas. Josh and Trish set it up in the backyard and Trish stitched up the small rips that had developed over the years. We bought the tent in 1977 and Josh first camped in it when he was all of 2 months old. We’ve handed it off and wanted to show him how to maintain it.

Tuesday night Josh’s best friend, James Mraz, came over for dinner and I fixed everyone okinomiyaki. It’s a Japanese dish we all learned to love during our time in Iwakuni, Japan. Okinomiyaki is a cabbage pancake. It combines cabbage, egg, sprouts, and some batter, which is fried on a skillet. Then you add bacon and/or seafood or other meats (or not) and can also add noodles. When is it all done on both sides, it is served with a barbecue sauce (tonkatsu works) with dried bonito and dried seaweed on top. Put a dash of mayonnaise and the boys were in pig heaven. Jen has learned to like it and also wolfs it down. After dinner we had watermelon for dessert and then watched a video.

Jen and Josh had to get up early the next morning to go to work. We were going to have a leisurely breakfast and then pull out, heading west towards the Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Panhandle beaches. Although short, it was a great visit with our kids.


Advertisement



1st May 2008

Ummmm....
"Jen has learned to like it and also wolfs it down." I OBJECT! EVERYONE ELSE JUST EATS SLOWER!
1st May 2008

Travels
The pictures have a much better quality on this blog vs the other blog. Great to hear you guys are having a wonderful time dispite the lighter wallet. Have fun in the pan handle and enjoy the sun! We'll get together when you return. Keep us posted.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb