Wasting Away Again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Gulf Breeze
December 1st 2010
Published: December 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

near Monday's anchoragenear Monday's anchoragenear Monday's anchorage

We hoped these high rises would block the winds. They didn't.
Wednesday, 1 December, 2010

We left our anchorage yesterday morning and headed back west about 3 miles to a marina in Pensacola Beach. The wind had blown all night Monday night, and while our anchors held well, none of us slept well with the noises made by wind and creaking lines along with the swinging on anchor. Tuesday was supposed to be windy again with winds from the south and southeast turning to northerly once the cold front passed. Choppy to rough in the inland waters didn’t appeal to any of us. Our best bet was to head to a marina and wait it out.

The wind shift in the early afternoon was sudden and drastic. The temperature dropped, the wind blew out of the north, and the rain came down. Little Sabine Bay got pretty choppy. A sailboat across the bay was blown aground and even at high tide late last night the wind was so strong it just blew him farther up the sand. He’s high and nearly dry this morning.

It rained all night and the wind at times seemed to be at gale force. We were so happy to be in a sheltered marina.
PelicansPelicansPelicans

I sure love to watch them dive.
But even so, the waves beat against the boat and the lines creaked and the fenders squeaked. Another noisy night.

This morning the winds were still blowing and the sound still looked pretty choppy. We decided another day in the marina was a good choice. Besides, there was no one at the marina, and we were told they were closed due to financial difficulties. That means free dockage for us. Another plus as far as staying goes. So we rented a car and went into Gulf Breeze to the movies and Walmart. We got a few groceries, had a prescription refilled, ate lunch and watched Harry Potter.

After returning to the marina, we went across the road to Hemingways for $4 mojitas and $1 fish tacos. Then a trip to Alvin’s Island souvenir shopping and back to the boat. The winds are much calmer tonight and tomorrow looks like a go for heading east again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Sara and TrevorSara and Trevor
Sara and Trevor

tying up in Little Sabine Bay
Little Sabine BayLittle Sabine Bay
Little Sabine Bay

Light chop before wind shift
Sailboat agroundSailboat aground
Sailboat aground

We all felt pretty badly for this poor guy.


2nd December 2010

Keep going, you'll hit calm seas and warm weather soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb