Ocala to Carrabelle Florida's Panhandle


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Carrabelle
March 17th 2010
Published: March 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Good Morning HorsesGood Morning HorsesGood Morning Horses

We "dry camped" at New Episode Training Center in Ocala. These horses were very curious about us!
We have a very cool itinerary to bring us home from our 2009-2010 winter RV trip. Our direct flight from Albany to Tampa was uneventful. Our drive up I75 to Ocala wet. We "dry camped" in the wet weather and woke up to a sunny day with a half dozen horses staring into the RV.

On The Road

We've learned to love those dotted lines on AAA maps. They indicate scenic byways, and Route 27 from Ocala to Williston is just that! The drive is beautiful. It’s spring and shrubs like "red buds" are in bloom as part of the landscaping of lovely horse farms all along the way. Going beyond Williston (neat and orderly) the scene becomes “USA at its rural, sincere best.” Ranching, logging, fishing, oystering and shrimping are the rugged industries. There are long stretches of undeveloped property; especially past the town of Perry. Verizon service is great; AT&T reception is not so great! The towns have interesting names like Apalachicola and Sopchoppy (where a sign promoted the “Worm Grunting Festival” on April 10)! Too bad we will be long gone (actually in Lexington, KY) by then.



The Panhandle

Florida's Panhandle is
Sun Up...Tide DownSun Up...Tide DownSun Up...Tide Down

Now we really understand the very long piers here in the Panhandle.
also called the "Forgotten Coast" or the "Red Neck Coast!" This place has a big UNDESERVED self esteem problem! It is untamed, fun, funky and beautiful soft sand beaches stretch out along the Gulf of Mexico like white necklaces. The oysters are the BEST, FRESHEST, and most inexpensive that we have ever encountered. We saw a bald eagle, many shore birds, and dolphins leaping just off shore. It is not Miami, it is not Sarasota, it is not Tampa! It is bigger than Pine Island with many of the same "organic" qualities.



Ho Hum RV Park, Carrabelle, FL

We have passed by Ho Hum RV Park several times and this time had a reservation. Ho Hum sits in the middle of oyster country directly on the Gulf of Mexico. A good third of the sites are "pull ins" with the RV's "cockpit" nosed right up to the Gulf of Mexico shoreline. It's beautiful. We went out for Bar B Q at "Hog Wild Bar B Q & Ice Cream stand" in Carrabelle- tasty, good value! In the past we have enjoyed Two Al's for lunch and dinner (and Thursday Trivia Night but our timing isn't right this year). We rarely eat in; but here we picked up a handful of fresh gulf shrimp to turn our burger tasty cookout into surf & turf.



Crooked River Grill

Lunch at this golf club dining room. Beautiful looking course. Nice lunch (grouper and buffalo chicken sandwiches). It has a bit more panache than most Panhandle restaurants. But that's ok, we can tolerate tablecloths!


Our next stop is St. George's Island State Park. We've been there before; it's wild and beautiful. Might have to go "cold turkey" (or to a Subway Restaurant) re: internet and cell phone access for a few days. It'll be well worth the deprivation. I can taste the oysters already.







Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Five BarsFive Bars
Five Bars

I do NOT have five bars in Carrabelle, Florida. Very lovely here - but connectivity problem
Out on the Pier!Out on the Pier!
Out on the Pier!

How about our matching sweatshirts!
Hog Wild Bar B QHog Wild Bar B Q
Hog Wild Bar B Q

The sign says something about worth traveling 100 miles for this food - that would be a bit of an exaggeration; but it was reasonable and good. A collection of ceramic, plush, wooden, etc. pigs decorates the place. Really good ice cream.
Surf n TurfSurf n Turf
Surf n Turf

Wes is a great griller. This shrimp and burger dinner was just about elegant!
BirdBird
Bird

This little guy was singing up a storm outside the Crooked River Club House. Think he is a Warbler.
Lookin Out Our Front DoorLookin Out Our Front Door
Lookin Out Our Front Door

How about this for a view?
MulletMullet
Mullet

The freshly caught mullet at Millender's Fish Market agreed to pose for the camera. The fourth generation of Millender fish mongers was behind the counter of this immaculate store.
The Business EndThe Business End
The Business End

This is the "command center" of RV operations. Water, power, sewer, cable! It is the "guy" side of the Rig!


24th March 2010

Love the sweatshirts!!!
26th March 2010

You noticed!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb