St. George Island From Carrabelle


Advertisement
Published: March 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This part of the trip is all about sand dunes and oysters and meeting up with Dave & Barb who are coming from where we are heading - New Orleans, Nashville, and points homeward!

Leaving (Carrabelle) town, our timing wasn’t right for lunch at “The Fisherman’s Wife’s” cute little red lunch cart or at funky and delish Two Al’s. We posted previous blogs on Carrabelle’s WW II museum and reference to how infantry was trained here for the Normandy Landing and how POW’s from Germany were incarcerated in a work camp/ prison here. Interesting history!

We made a provision stop at the Carrabelle IGA where they sell fishing poles and tackle along with milk, eggs and Tide. We made our way along Route 98 to Eastpoint which surely has seen better days. A handsome arched bridge welcomed us to St. George Island. We headed for our fav oyster haunt, Eddie Teach’s, and were shocked to find it GONE! Undeterred, we FOUND Eddie at his new digs; still under construction; but celebrating a very “soft opening” with beer and raw oysters and a construction crew sawing and prying and hammering away while patrons sipped and slurped!

The architecture on St. Georges is purely functional -beach houses on stilts with boats on trailers underneath and sometimes three or even four stories high with a widow’s walk on top allowing sunrise views on the Gulf of Mexico and sunset views over the bays.


The temporary, but current limitations of Eddie’s sent us scurrying to find a suitable St. George replacement for dinner with the Wayman’s; we “discovered” Oyster Bay and declared it worthy. Beautiful view of the bay … good for sunsets if only there was sun! Great seafood. We shared a dozen oysters prepared St. George style - delish and $8 for the dozen. Wes had scallops; I had fried oysters and cheese grits generous enough to bring home for breakfast someday soon!


Barb and Dave and a significant rain storm arrived at the same time! Lucky we campers could enjoy lunch inside the RV.


The four of us enjoyed a nice dinner at Oyster Bay with a great surprise … a golden sunset! The rain had gone. Back to the Wayman’s RV for Sambuca and peach ice cream as a fitting night cap.

We agreed to meet at 7:30 a sunrise walk on the beach. Very nice way to end our visit.

The best things about St. George are the fabulous beaches, seafood (shrimp & oysters fresh caught daily) and a very nice state park camping facility. We might have rented a kayak on the bay side if the weather were nicer. We learned that the “season” is summer! That might explain why things seem a bit slow on St. George Island - no live music, etc. But quiet is nice. Apalachicola is not far by car and has more to offer.




Internet connectivity is very intermittent here on St. George Island. Really wish we weren’t so internet dependent. For weather forecasts and mellow tunes; local radio station Oyster Radio 100.5 FM to the rescue.





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Gonna Be a Rosy DayGonna Be a Rosy Day
Gonna Be a Rosy Day

Barb, Wes, Dave
The Soft Opening of Eddie Teach'sThe Soft Opening of Eddie Teach's
The Soft Opening of Eddie Teach's

Contractors, Raw Oysters, Bottled Beer -
Heron in Alligator PondHeron in Alligator Pond
Heron in Alligator Pond

We saw an alligator here too!
Joanne Bay SideJoanne Bay Side
Joanne Bay Side

We walked along a short nature trail from our campsite to get to the bay side of the Island.
Wes on the Bay SideWes on the Bay Side
Wes on the Bay Side

The Apachalachacola Bay side of St. George Island.
Oyster Bay SunsetOyster Bay Sunset
Oyster Bay Sunset

Dave, Wes, Barb


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb