From St. George to Route 30 A Top Sail, Santa Rosa Beach & More!


Advertisement
Published: March 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mr. & Mrs. Cuda - Be Nice!Mr. & Mrs. Cuda - Be Nice!Mr. & Mrs. Cuda - Be Nice!

Companion art at a Seaside gallery.
Heading out of St, George Island on our way to Top Sail RV Park, Santa Rosa Beach, scores of oystermen, their small boats brimming with oysters, come into view as we cross the bay. Heading west on Route 98, we skipped the sweet town of Apalachicola - been there and loved it and rolled on to Port St. Joe and a brief stop near the Marina. We had once stayed at a State Park on St. Joe Peninsula and loved its untamed beauty.

We have often passed the intriguing looking Toucan’s at Mexico Beach but the timing is never right for a meal stop - too early for lunch and too late for breakfast. Some things have to be saved for next tiem! Passing through Panama City we are reminded that it’s a popular “spring break destination" making it off limits to we non-collegians during late march and early April.

Our drive takes us along the coast most of the way. We love turning onto Route 30 A, 20 or so miles west of Panama City and arguably one of the loveliest “developed” roadway we have EVER encountered. 30 A delivers on a wonderful balance of protected wild areas
Air Stream Silver DinersAir Stream Silver DinersAir Stream Silver Diners

One of the features of Seaside on Route 30 A!
and beaches, attractive resort / low rise condo areas, and a full range of restaurants, bike/kayak rental shops, and boutiques along the way. Trees and hedge rows soften the look of the buildings from the road side and dunes and sea grasses enhancing seaside views.

Our base of operation is Top Sail on the far western side of 30A. The last time we camped at this state Park, it rained and rained! What a difference a little sunshine makes! The park and its facilities, proximity to nature trails, beautiful gulf beaches and restaurants, are hard to beat. It is a rare state park that has sewers, cement pads, great internet connectivity and a swimming pool Top Sail had been a privately owned RV park before the State of Florida bought it. As Wes says "This is more civilized!"



On Friday night, we had to sip a cocktail at the bar waiting for a table at Stinkey's Fish Club (great meal, very busy place, occasional live entertainment, full bar, and free valet parking!


Saturday dawned bright and sunny, We took a ride to Seaside, a brilliantly planned community with restaurants, a theatre, retail, comfortable neighborhoods,
Lunch at Shrimp Shack SeasideLunch at Shrimp Shack SeasideLunch at Shrimp Shack Seaside

Gumbo, Cuban Sandwich, Oysters Shack-style, Fresh Squeezed Lemonade!
gorgeous beach and park-like expanses. It looks like it had been in place for a few generations! Wes’s comment about the residential neighborhood, “It looks like Round Lake!” This is meant as a huge compliment to both communities. Quaint architectural features, narrow lanes and alleys, dense "wild-looking" landscaping make it happen.


We bought a loaf of Tuscan bread at a Saturday Morning Farmers’ Market, a red velvet cupcake at one of a string of airstream campers turned into “food carts,” lunch at the Shrimp Shack, a few souvenirs at “PerSpiCasIty,” a casual outdoor market place, and gelato before heading off to another beach. On the way we stopped off at Justin Gaffrey's gallery. He seems even more creative than ever. It was quite a day and we are happy to just chill out on Saturday night -editing photos, writing the blog, reading our books and peeking at the elite eight basketball March Madness games on cable - yes, Top Sail even has cable TV.


We have reservations on Sunday night at the wonderful and elegant Tango Cafe. Monday morning will find us heading for what is called "Florabama." We'll get to Dauphin, Alabama via the Schooner's
Seaside Farmers' MarketSeaside Farmers' MarketSeaside Farmers' Market

We bought a round loaf of Bob's Tuscan Bread!
first ferry boat crossing, stay a few days and head for New Orleans. Stay tuned!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Are We in TuscanyAre We in Tuscany
Are We in Tuscany

Wonderful galleries and shops in Seaside!
PerSpiCasItyPerSpiCasIty
PerSpiCasIty

Very cool market style boutique at Seaside!
Seaside BeachSeaside Beach
Seaside Beach

The sand on these Panhandle Gulf beaches is like tacum powder. So Soft!
Seaside Looks Like Round LakeSeaside Looks Like Round Lake
Seaside Looks Like Round Lake

Meant as a sincere compliment to both quaint residential communities!
Justin GaffreyJustin Gaffrey
Justin Gaffrey

This chef turned artist is best known for his sunflowers! We love his truck!
You Are My SunshineYou Are My Sunshine
You Are My Sunshine

Justin Gaffrey's iconic paintings!
Port St. Joe MarinaPort St. Joe Marina
Port St. Joe Marina

There is a restaurant "Dock Side Cafe & Raw Bar and a ship's store at this marina. The nice little town is an easy walk from the boats.


28th March 2010

What an amazing place!
Route 30A is amazing and looks like so much fun! I'd never heard about this part of FLA, now I hope to visit there! Thanks for "featuring" it on your blog! ( :
28th March 2010

Schooner Travel
Wes and Joanne, you have the be the penultimate RV travelers. Most folks I know leave it parked 51 weeks a year in the driveway and rue the day they laid out the cash for such a vehicle. You two actually use yours and seem to have a great season every year traveling and discovering in and around the Sunshine State. I like seeing the parts of Florida you visit, you find the "old Florida" that the fancy advertising agency's and today's hurried vacationers seem to have forgotten. Keep on rolling Mark and Jean
28th March 2010

Thanks, Guys
True - we do use the RV mucho in the winter . and have found a nice life style "on the road" for much of the winter. But summer with ya'all up north is too good to miss - we don't use The Schooner much when there is so much to do at home.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb