Ireland 2003


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
March 17th 2010
Published: March 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our eight-day trip to Ireland with Kevin McKrell and the Donnybrook Fair band never got "blogged." So, here, from the archive for your St. Paddy's Day enjoyment, is a brief description of that trip and a few of the pictures we took. We were with Barb and Dave. It was Barb and my first trip to Europe. And, a great start it was! Here is an archived story and pics from that Fall 2003 trip.

The notes are itinerary notes from our tour leader, Kevin McKrell! Yes, that Kevin McKrell. We were traveling with the "band" with "sessions" every night!

Kevin's notes: When we land in Shannon we head first for Killarney. Killarney has a bit of everything.We are situated in the town centre which makes quick walking to the shops, pubs and music sessions.The first night is a bit easy as we will all be a jetlagged, so after dinner we have a music session with Donnybrook Fair, then it's off to the pubs for more sessions with the local traditional musicians. The next morning we head for what could easily be considered the most beautiful spot in the world The Dingle Penisula.Then back to our hotel in Killarney for a night of Donnybrook Fair and music sessions around the town.

We then head through Ennis into Ardrahan and one of the coolest things I have seen, we go to Rathburn farm and watch a demonstration of sheep herding by border collies,it is really something special. Then it's off to Galway City, thought by some to be the most happening city in Europe, pubs by the score, so many musicians playing that they spill into the streets. On our second day in Galway City you have the choice of hanging about the town checking out the shops and historical sights or a day trip to the Island of Inís Mór one of the Aran Island. (Joanne's Note - we took the Inís Mór option).

After Galway City we head through Loughrea and Athlone and on to our castle stay at Cabra Castle in Kingscourt County Cavan. A night of music sessions and ghostly stories and then on to Dublin City.

There is so much to see in Dublin that it can be quite mind boggeling. A highlight was going to a jail and seeing just how conditions were after the Easter Sunday Uprising and Massacre. We walked around town found a fun spot for fish and chips and some sort of Irish peas and Lamb Stew. The Dublin business district was decorated for Christmas and very pretty. We found our way to Dublin Castle (now an office complex and if I were advising anyone would say "skip it") and Trinity College its ancient highlight the Book of Kells. The Museum was closed (Mondays are universally museum holidays). BTW, our all inclusive price (with all meals but lunch and huge Irish buffet breakfasts) was $ 1224.00. And, the Euro rate was more favorable then than it was on later trips. So, quite a bargain.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Peat Fire - Thatched CottagePeat Fire - Thatched Cottage
Peat Fire - Thatched Cottage

We had a tour of a sheep farm and tea and scones at this farmhouse.
Sweet Molly MaloneSweet Molly Malone
Sweet Molly Malone

She wheels her wheel barrow down streets broad and narrow singing cockels & mussles alive alive-o!
Inís Mór Inís Mór
Inís Mór

This is actually the sun going down on Galway Bay!
Irish ToastIrish Toast
Irish Toast

Here's to the health of your enemies' enemies!


16th March 2010

IRELAND
HI. I ENJOYED THIS SO MUCH! MY GANDFATHER CAME FROM COUNTY CLARE, AND MY SON -IN -LAW, MICHAEL SEAN O'CONNELL'S GRANDFATHER CAME FROM COUNTY KERRY...THUS, WHEN MY DAUGHTER HAD HER DAUGHTER LAST YEAR, T'WAS KERRY CLARE O'CONNELL THEY NAMED HER......I HAVE NOT BEEN TO IRELAND, BUT ASPIRE TO GET MY OLD BONES THERE BEFORE TOO LONG. SO MANY INTERESTING AND BEAUTIFUL SITES. THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS WITH US. STAY WELL, REGARDS, HELENE
16th March 2010

Fabulous as always. Puts me in the Irish mood for tomorrow!
17th March 2010

Great photos! We're talking about a trip to the old sod within the next 24 months or so, most likely in June or July. Thanks for sharing. I love the toast. Never heard it before and it's a perfect irish toast!

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb