Amelia Island Museum of History


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

While visiting museums large and small, on three continents, we've occasionally found an unheralded gem. Such is the case with the History Museum in Fernandina, Florida, on the edge of the town's "historic district". It's small, unpretentious on the outside, and its simple goal is to tell the story of this island that has known eight flags to the town's inhabitants, school kids, tourists, and the ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

the harbourthe harbour
the harbour

It was the jewel of Amelia Island, handling as many as 700 ships per year, delivering goods and passengers to the Railroad, and loading cotton and other commodities. What a beautiful binnacle for an artifact !
eastern terminus ...eastern terminus ...
eastern terminus ...

... ... of Yulee's Florida Railroad. Today it is a Welcome and Information centre for Fernandina and the rest of Amelia Island.
Boat building ...Boat building ...
Boat building ...

... soon became a major industry, because of the harbor and the availability of good wood.
Fernandina became America's shrimping capital.Fernandina became America's shrimping capital.
Fernandina became America's shrimping capital.

At its height, there were more than 150 shrimp boats, but over the years they have gradually migrated farther down the coast and into the Gulf of Mexico, where shrimp are more abundant.
Culture and worship ...Culture and worship ...
Culture and worship ...

... were not overlooked. Besides wealthy home-owners who could afford their own organ, there were churches of every denomination in Fernandina.
Grand ladies dressed the part.Grand ladies dressed the part.
Grand ladies dressed the part.

Fernandina was a very wealthy town, and its inhabitants enjoyed many fancy balls and other cultural events.
a 19th century velocipedea 19th century velocipede
a 19th century velocipede

Can you imagine trying to ride that thing?
electrical panel (1892)electrical panel (1892)
electrical panel (1892)

This was one of the first fuse-boxes (1897) on the Island: it served until 1993.
Where there's a courthouse ...Where there's a courthouse ...
Where there's a courthouse ...

... you'll usually find a jail.
Cells were not exactly luxuriousCells were not exactly luxurious
Cells were not exactly luxurious

There were no pampered prisoners back then !


The historic downtown of Fernandina features scores of significant late 19th and early 20th century houses and other buildings.
the grand preservationthe grand preservation
the grand preservation

Fifty blocks in the heart of town have been preserved and "recycled" if you will, to give towns-people a permanent link between the present and the town's glorious past.
the Historic Preservation district ...the Historic Preservation district ...
the Historic Preservation district ...

... in relation to the rest of the town and the Island
Center Street's buildings...Center Street's buildings...
Center Street's buildings...

... are late 19th or early 20th century structures.



26th June 2016
Today few shrimpers remain.

I love boat pix! This is a gooder!
27th June 2016
Atlantic Avenue beach

Lovely
I love your Atlantic Beach rendition. It does look like an Alex Coville painting. What an interesting island so steeped in history. You have shown me how much history abounds no matter where one travels!!! Thanks for educating me on this great little Island I'd never heard of before. Great pictures and excellent information.
27th June 2016
showing some of them

Wonderful article Fred

Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 107; dbt: 0.1484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb