Tall Ships at Brockville 2016


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Brockville
September 27th 2016
Published: September 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

backgroundbackgroundbackground

Brockville (Sept 16-18) was the final stop on the circuit that visited 8 ports around the Great Lakes, commencing July 1 (Canada Day) in Toronto. The participating ships and the ports they visit vary from year to year: we visited the ships in Brockville 3 years ago, when about half of them were different.
Just what are "tall ships", and why the strange name? They are sailing ships, with as much as 11,000 square feet of sails, that carry passengers or cargo or both, either commercially or for pleasure. The word "tall" refers to the height of their masts, which extend sometimes more than 100 feet (30+ meters) above the water.

From the 15th century onward, relatively small wooden ships powered by the wind transported goods from country to country, and colonists to newly-discovered lands. It's only been about a century and a half since they began to be replaced by increasingly larger ships with engines and screws (propellers) that are the norm today.

Although marine engineering has changed enormously since the age of "iron men in wooden ships", people still wax nostalgic for the days of yore when humans, not computers and machines, were the masters of their own destiny. As Poet Laureate John Masefield wrote in Sea Fever (1913):
"I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by, and the

wheel's kick and the
Fair Jeanne (FJ) ArrivesFair Jeanne (FJ) ArrivesFair Jeanne (FJ) Arrives

This brigantine leads the Parade of Sail, Brockville being its home port. See its details in the next photo, taken from the 'Passports' that served as boarding passes to visit the ships over the two days.
wind's song, and the white sails shaking,

and a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking"

Wherever there is a significant anniversary celebration in or near ports around the world you'll often find some of the few dozen remaining tall ships. As popular participants they invariably attract thousands of visitors. Tall Ships America now organizes the TALL SHIPS CHALLENGE® annual series of tall ship races and maritime port festivals to celebrate our rich maritime heritage and traditions and to inform the general public about the transformative power of adventure and education under sail.Prominent this year was the race around the Great Lakes ... mostly by American and Canadian vessels, but with an exciting representative from abroad too.

The first of the flotilla's eight stops was in Toronto, and they went as far west as Duluth, Minnesota, finishing at Brockville, Ontario, in the 1000 Islands region of the St Lawrence River. Margo and I were able to visit them there, and although mobility problems made it impossible for us to go aboard this time, we got lots of external photos. In the case of the prime attraction, the Spanish replica El Galeón, I've supplemented them with a few that we took on board in 2013.

We hope you enjoy our blog as much as we enjoyed the event.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

El Galeon (EG) arrivesEl Galeon (EG) arrives
El Galeon (EG) arrives

It's a replica of the San Pelayo, a Spanish ship that visited and colonized northern Florida. It represents the hundreds of galleons that brought settlers to Spanish colonies and took treasure back to Spain. This unique vessel travels the world as an ambassador for Spanish culture. Being square rigged, it couldn't sail into the wind so the sails are furled in this photo.
Mist of Avalon (MoA) arrivesMist of Avalon (MoA) arrives
Mist of Avalon (MoA) arrives

This schooner's home port is Toronto.
Empire Sandy (ES) arrivesEmpire Sandy (ES) arrives
Empire Sandy (ES) arrives

This Tern schooner, based in Toronto carries nearly 11,000 sq. ft. of sail, and can accommodate 275 passengers for chartered tours.
El Galeón (EG) from starboard bowEl Galeón (EG) from starboard bow
El Galeón (EG) from starboard bow

For you landlubbers, the right side of a ship when looking forward is the "starboard" side.
The foremast's riggingThe foremast's rigging
The foremast's rigging

This just gives an idea of the thousands of feet of rope needed to secure and manage the sails of the fore-, after-, and mizzen masts.
EG's extra 'crowsnest'EG's extra 'crowsnest'
EG's extra 'crowsnest'

A crowsnest is where lookouts keep watch for anything in the way. This one would not be manned in rough seas. The two main ones are near the tops of the foremast and aftermast.


28th September 2016
adiós at sunset

Tis fitting!
29th September 2016
adiós at sunset

Delightful
How nice to see a story from my old town and wish I'd been there to share in the excitement. You have taken some great pictures and produced an interesting and comprehensive review of the event. I'm surprised at the number of passengers some of those boats can carry and also the elegant furniture. Love the women statue!!! How great that this flotilla made the trek last summer and is keeping the era of tall ships in our radar. It really caught my eye as I have been watching the Netflicks Once Upon a Time series in which Captain Hooks Jolly Roger often flies across the screen. The intrigue and adventure of a pirate's life. Thanks for sharing. I see you are still enjoying historical ventures!!!
3rd October 2016
adiós at sunset

Masterpieces!! Wonderful photos of some seriously beautifully crafted vessels- It's incredible the condition that the ships are in AND that they're still used to sail around for these type of events. What's the significance of "passsport" ;) I can only imagine what a journey it must have been to sail on those back in the day...

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb