Amelia Island Museum of History


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

location of Amelia Island, FLAlocation of Amelia Island, FLAlocation of Amelia Island, FLA

This 13-mile (20 km) long island is at the north-east corner of Florida, right at the border with Georgia. It is the southernmost of the barrier islands along America's east coast.
While visiting museums large and small, on three continents, we've occasionally found an unheralded gem. Such is the case with the History Museum in Fernandina, Florida, on the edge of the town's "historic district". It's small, unpretentious on the outside, and its simple goal is to tell the story of this island that has known eight flags to the town's inhabitants, school kids, tourists, and the lucky few who discover it. Here are our photos, but for complete coverage go to https://www.google.org/#q=amelia+island+history·museum

The Island was named for King George II's daughter Amelia: its town of Fernandina Beach (or just "Fernandina") was named for Spanish King Ferdinand. Besides the English, the Island has been controlled for various periods in its turbulent history by France, Spain, Mexico, the Confederacy, the USA, and some short-lived usurpers: for complete details see http://8flags.com/history.html . It has known periods of sleepy stagnation and of bustling wealth, and I have tried in this article to give examples from most of them. Altogether the Island and the town's history is quite remarkable.

The tiny permanent staff and many volunteers have acquired artifacts from various periods, and have supplemented them with professional photos, newspaper articles, and anything
the Island's layoutthe Island's layoutthe Island's layout

The central and southern parts of the Island hold many attractions for tourists and vacationers. This article is mainly about the Museum's coverage of the Historic Section of the town of Fernandina.
else that illustrates the varied and fascinating story of the island and its people. Admission fees are modest, and photography is permitted. You can tour the exhibits on your own in a few hours or take a more informative tour under the guidance of an enthusiastic docent. The AmeliaIslandHistoryMuseum is a Northern Florida gem not to be overlooked.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

the Museum's entrancethe Museum's entrance
the Museum's entrance

It doesn't look like much from the outside, because it used to be the county jail, however its importance earned it a listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
its interior layoutits interior layout
its interior layout

They have made excellent use of limited available space. Although there isn't room for a lot of actual things, each era is brought to life through large size photo collections, as this article will show.
ORIGINAL INHABITANTSORIGINAL INHABITANTS
ORIGINAL INHABITANTS

The first European visitors, English and Spanish, were met by the Timucua tribe. For detailed and very interesting information go to http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/lessons/timuicua/timucua1.htm
a Timucuan villagea Timucuan village
a Timucuan village

This painting is a re-creation from the discoveries of archaeologists, showing how their villages might have looked.
They respected NatureThey respected Nature
They respected Nature

Dependent as they were on its bounty, they were efficient fishermen, farmers and hunters, managing resources carefully. They were generally peaceful, but would defend themselves if necessary.
village lifevillage life
village life

Be sure to read the article cited under "original inhabitants" above.
a culture unfortunately losta culture unfortunately lost
a culture unfortunately lost

They had to battle English and Spanish invaders, and later smallpox. Now we have only archaeology to tell us about their lives, for they didn't leave written records.
European settlersEuropean settlers
European settlers

For almost three centuries French, Spanish and English forces fought for control, with the Spanish usually having the upper hand. Pirates too were always a factor to be reckoned with. 'Twas the worst of times !
The Spanish established missionsThe Spanish established missions
The Spanish established missions

They arrived from Cuba, and spread throughout northern and central "la Florida", and farther north into Georgia. They massacred the existing French Protestant settlers who were just trying to find a new homeland free from persecution.
Spanish missionary altarSpanish missionary altar
Spanish missionary altar

The first settlers in Spanish settlements were always clergy, who wasted no time in establishing chapels and promoting Catholicism. They arrived at the Timacuan settlements in 1587.
mockup of typical missionary quartersmockup of typical missionary quarters
mockup of typical missionary quarters

This is the sort of sparse accommodations that the Spanish missionaries occupied.
an important discoveryan important discovery
an important discovery

Bosque Bello (1798) is Fernandina's oldest cemetery, founded by the Spanish.
interesting historical overviewinteresting historical overview
interesting historical overview

Florida was not yet an American state in the early 1800s, and the Spanish and the English alternately were in control, which made for interesting possibilities for illicit slave-trading, even though the US Congress had abolished the slave trade for American states in 1808.
the illegal slave tradethe illegal slave trade
the illegal slave trade

Since Florida's approach to slavery in the early1800s was pretty laissez-faire, there was a clandestine trade of an estimated 5,000 slaves destined for slave-owners elsewhere until Florida officially became a state in 1821.
early Civil War dilemmaearly Civil War dilemma
early Civil War dilemma

Amelia Island faced a dilemma, which was eventually resolved when Florida joined the Confederacy.
Senator David YuleeSenator David Yulee
Senator David Yulee

He built the east-west Florida Railroad from Fernandina in 1853. He later was the first Jewish US senator, but resigned to support the Confederacy, which earned him 9 months' imprisonment in Fort Pulaski after the war.
freed slavesfreed slaves
freed slaves

They flocked to Amelia Island before, during, and after the War.


Fernandina prospered after the War ended, to considerable extent because of the Railroad. 'Twas the "best of times".
a real success storya real success story
a real success story

Anna Kingsley (1806-1870) was a freed slave and plantation landowner.


26th June 2016
Today few shrimpers remain.

I love boat pix! This is a gooder!
27th June 2016
Atlantic Avenue beach

Lovely
I love your Atlantic Beach rendition. It does look like an Alex Coville painting. What an interesting island so steeped in history. You have shown me how much history abounds no matter where one travels!!! Thanks for educating me on this great little Island I'd never heard of before. Great pictures and excellent information.
27th June 2016
showing some of them

Wonderful article Fred

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb