Day 9 - Concert in Fir


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
August 23rd 2010
Published: August 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

This morning we took a drive from Alamosa to La Veta (about an hour east) to catch the Rio Grande train to our final destination of Fir, CO. The train this time was pulled with a diesel engine and the ride to Fir is about an hour. Fir is not a place that you can get to by road - the train is the only means to this secluded green hideaway. For the last several years the scenic railroad has put on summer concerts at this spot. They get their power to the microphones and amps using a windmill and solar panels located at the site. After the summer concerts are done, Fir is closed down for the season. The duo "Troutfishing in America" and local artists put on a 3+ hour concert. Keith and Ezra played many favorites including Big Rig, Five Little Ducks, and A Proper Cup of Coffee. This was the first time they played in Fir - seems the only place in North America that they haven't been is Idaho. A local artist named Fred told a horse poem - Drew can send the video to you - it was good. After the concert we took the train back to La Veta and drove back to Alamosa. Along the way you could see the black clouds and rain in the distance - it's weird how that happens here. And as any good day does it was ended with a swim in the hotel pool.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb