Home town Colorado


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Grand Junction
January 13th 2009
Published: January 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After much ado, it is time to come out of hiding. With grand plans of catching up on blogs of traveling through Europe when we got back to the States, we promptly wrote of nothing on arrival. So with a much belated edition to the series I am hoping to resume our blogs by starting out where we ended up before getting back into where we were. Err...yah, hope you got that...

Our ship has landed...our itchy travel feet sated for the time being. Grand Junction, Colorado is our new found home. The name of the town is nothing much. It is what you may describe as an all American blue collar town. Women don't walk around tottering on pricey heels. Men don't pound the pavement to press the flesh in freshly ironed suits. It's a sensible town grown on the world's need for fossil fuels.

Both Scott and I came from a tiny town. So a few years back this may have been a large city for us. But after having lived in Houston and Calgary it is a sleepy little town. A good town for resting travel weary feet and enjoying the simple things of life.

What lies outside the city is our heart's desire. High mountain sage bush scents the air. Rocky canyons and mesas glowing in the evening sunset. Landscapes that can be a harsh as they are breathtaking. Get in your car and pick a direction, you can barely go wrong.

Life is good, there are so many things to appreciate. Winter is upon us but the sun still shines brightly most days in this part of the country. Even when the chill nips at your fingers and nose the sun still shines.

Scott plans to resume his studies in Spanish and I in my art. And after five years of talking about it we have finally gotten ourselves a puppy. Not only that but we have finally got a mattress set. This is a big deal considering our idea of a good piece a furniture is something the folds up tidy and is easy to break down and put in a box to move with out hassle. I guess that is what happens when you move as much as Scott and I have. So moving on from the tried and true futon bed to a mattress set is a huge commitment.

Now lets get back to that puppy thing. With the return of domestic life we finally broke down and finally got a puppy. After five years a of talking about it we were fairly set on what we wanted. The decision was to find a little Jack Russell. And so we did. As soon as Scott saw her little face he turned all mushy. I like to think I have more resistances to the adorable devilish plans of puppies and kittens to take over the world with one look, but she won me over as well. Now our two cats want to kill us for bringing this wiggly little bundle of puppiness into "their" palace. And in dark corners of the night discuss together how they will dispose of the newly dubbed Pepper.

Our days are spent trying to convince a eight week old puppy that poohing outside is the hip thing to do. Granted if you tried to make me hover my bum an inch over the snow, you probably wouldn't get much for results. As her little bottom hits the snow she is quite convinced we are completely insane. As an added bonus it seems
taking solacetaking solacetaking solace

kitties being caught in the act discussing their plans for Pepper
we never have to worry about feline hair balls collecting under furniture anymore. Pepper seems to think they are pretty tasty. But as I tend to say "it's a good thing your so cute."

It's been an amazing year. Filled with so many things I could only have dreamed of. There have been times when it was rough going and moments of inspiration. On arriving back from our long journey and finding our home again we have found a new appreciation for the simple things of life.









Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

fistacuffsfistacuffs
fistacuffs

A fight breaks out when they can't agree on a what to do about Pepper's take over of the home front


19th January 2009

Grand Junction Cool!
Need a place to stay in Denver look me up. I have been here since July. Did some snow camping last weekend. Love the mountains! The Colorado National Monument is pretty cool! Have you been up to see the wild mustangs east of Grand Junction on the BLM ground yet? I hiked about 4 hours 1 day in hopes of seeing them, but never did?
21st January 2009

lol
Rock on toe Gladiators...I think those were Scott's toes. Oh the things one does to entertain them selves while on the road
9th February 2009

You've finally landed
Hey guys, Good to see you have a base station now. I was wondering where you guys were 'cause I'm still getting blog updates from your travels in Spain. Sounds like you guys have had a heck of a year. hope to see you guys again. So Scott is not going back to Pason? Let me know if you guys are planning any trips back to Canada any time soon. Hope all is well. Carlito
9th February 2009

around the world and back again
If you go the blog that has the puppy on it, that is what we are doing right now. Where home. The new blogs after that are a recap of what I never got around to finishing after we got home...It would have been better to do them awhile ago but yah...I'm writing them so I can print them out and make a keep sake scrap book for Scott and I of our journey.

Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1964s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb