Sweet Summer Tales


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
July 12th 2009
Published: December 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Red Current Madness!Red Current Madness!Red Current Madness!

Clover's dad has the summer yummy patch of red currents.
"Home is not where you live, but where they understand you" (Christian Morganstern)

Once again our room is filled with piles of boxes and sorted objects with the distinctions of 'going' or 'staying' as we prepare to leave shortly. The day is set or at least as much as we can possibly set where we'll jump back into our truck and began our hot spring journey back to Colorado. The bowl of fresh garden snow peas sitting besides my computer reminds me that time has been well spent back here in Oregon. In most cases it has been a rare treat to return to our home area where we were both raised. Albeit we've found we can't name a road for the life of us. Directions around these parts come from the memories where other folk drove you around and you mentally picked out your favorite spots. Granted we never get lost out here, but it's the funny little distinctions like being able to rattle of street names and directions for Houston, Calgary, and Denver, and yet not really know what the name of that road in the local town is that you've driven down a million times.

New things we've learned: Never ingest a rough skinned newt. Unbeknown to us, those little swimming newts that you want to pick up as a kid and play with, are in fact quite poisonous if consumed. Not that the thought of eating newts has ever crossed my mind, well maybe only a little with the proper seasonings and soy sauce. But hey, as they say everything tastes good with soy sauce. Really though, these are not the kinda of newts you wanna put in someones coffee cup. The newts produce tetrodotoxin which will produce paralysis and death. The funny thing is, the toxin is a built in mechanism to survive the garden snake who in turn has developed a resistance to the toxin. So when I was glancing down to those innocent looking little newts in the water I was in fact observing one faction in an arms race. Guess I've got to tip my hat to the common garden snake when he can wolf down a rough skinned newt that would kill me. Without soy sauce to boot!

New passions: Driving around to gather up large piles of rocks to take back to my folks garden for some landscaping.
Swimming!Swimming!Swimming!

Pepper takes on the summertime swimming challenge with Haily.
Buying loads and loads of rocks just seemed wrong when all it took was a little driving to find some sweet piles of slate, serpentine (yes I know, not the best soil nutrients for the garden) and granite. I'm a firm believer that any good garden should have random piles of rock. After all soil comes from rocks and soil is the name of the game when it comes to growing things.

Some folks think back to childhood summers and I would guess imagine games of baseball, hot dogs, rolling boulders, and swatting mosquitoes. For us, it's all about the rivers. Its interesting to turn back the pages and find that the water feels just as good on a hot day as it did when we were little. Although now I've found new super powers when it comes to floating. Something I never could muster for a long time. Yeah, whatever, i know what your thinking!

Highlights: Being there when our little man Julian Waggoner came into the world. For those of you not in the know, my brother and his wife had an awesome little chillin dude here recently. Although I felt rather weird and almost protective
Gremlin DogGremlin DogGremlin Dog

Check out the wisps of hair on those ears, now if only i can grow some like that.
when I was in the hospital and the doctor came in to inspect little Julian. I had to give the doctor the evil eye when she lingered a bit to long on his private parts. Granted things need to be checked, but 5 more seconds of fondling his gonads and I was prepared to step in. Some aggressions can be tolerated.

Yikes, 6 months later and I forgot to post this blog.... Damn those dirty rotten video games.... Sorry all.





Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Applegate covered Bridge.Applegate covered Bridge.
Applegate covered Bridge.

Don't make them like they used to, eh.
I love the hair.I love the hair.
I love the hair.

Lila and Iyanna, old school freinds.
Devils Punchbowl.Devils Punchbowl.
Devils Punchbowl.

Nice to see places still stay sweet. We spent 3 nights on a backpack trip into the Siskiyou Wilderness.
Evening Entertainment!Evening Entertainment!
Evening Entertainment!

We gather round the rock table for amusement.
The Punchbowl Team.The Punchbowl Team.
The Punchbowl Team.

At least I'm not the shortest one there! Devils
Old School Boatin.Old School Boatin.
Old School Boatin.

Clover's brothers along with a friend demonstrate proper log boating skills. Hey it's southern Oregon!
China Beach.China Beach.
China Beach.

Our secret local beach spot that always seems to be mostly empty.
Pepper Jack!Pepper Jack!
Pepper Jack!

Pepper ponders what it means to be a camera star.
The New Addition.The New Addition.
The New Addition.

Julian Waggoner munches down on some yum yum.
Mark and AshleeMark and Ashlee
Mark and Ashlee

Clover's sister gets jacked up on strawberries and ice cream. Seriously.
It's all about the Rivers.It's all about the Rivers.
It's all about the Rivers.

Summertime in southern Oregon means swimming time.
Trinity Wilderness.Trinity Wilderness.
Trinity Wilderness.

Caribou lake is the bomb.
Alpine dog outta energyAlpine dog outta energy
Alpine dog outta energy

Even Pepper was wore out after our full day hiking assault.
Rough Skinned NewtRough Skinned Newt
Rough Skinned Newt

Don't go licking this little guy!
Devils PunchbowlDevils Punchbowl
Devils Punchbowl

Good chillin spot.


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb