Over the Continental Divide to Grand Junction


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Grand Junction
September 13th 2021
Published: October 25th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Cañon City CO has two claims to fame: it is host to the Most Maximum Security Prison in the US, current residence of the Unabomber, El Chapo Guzman, The Shoebomber, the Boston Marathon bomber, the Oklahoma City bomber, and a bunch of CIA and FBI officials who passed secret info to the Soviets, resulting in the deaths of many US operatives. While I only saw one facility, there are actually 13 prisons in and around town. Probably the safest place in the country to spend the night. The county also boasts the Royal Gorge of the Arkansas river, crossed by a sky bridge. It looked like fun, if a little touristy, but I felt like I had to cover some miles and left it for next time.

The road to the Continental Divide follows the valley of the Arkansas. This stretch of the river is pristine. Rafting companies were floating it, fly fishermen were at work further upstream, all very natural until we got to Salida, where it turns North to Leadville. I carried on East to the Divide, and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison River. The scenery is magnificent. Makes it very hard to ride without going off the edge, so I schooled myself into intentional photo ops -- otherwise the yellow line was my focus. Luckily US 50 was under construction where it runs along the South side of the Gunnison, so we were forced onto a smaller road which circles the North rim. What a delight ! Marred only by the presence of a couple of hot-rodding motorcyclists (an ungodly clan) who insisted on going too fast and forcing us slowpokes off the road. They didn't meet their Maker this time round, but it won't be long.

The Colorado river looked very weak as it trickles into Grand Junction, but it received a strong injection from the Gunnison River at mid-town. I won't be for long. The Blue Mesa Reservoir I had passed earlier on in the day was only 1/3 full.

Days Travel : Canyon City CO to Grand Junction CO : 270 mi


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Black Canyon of the GunnisonBlack Canyon of the Gunnison
Black Canyon of the Gunnison

looking down from Blue Mesa dam.
Cliffs along the Gunnison Cliffs along the Gunnison
Cliffs along the Gunnison

above the confluence with the Uncompahgre River.


Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb