Hanging Lake... Almost


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Glenwood Springs
September 29th 2012
Published: October 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hanging Lake Parking LotHanging Lake Parking LotHanging Lake Parking Lot

It's autumn in Colorado!
Two years ago, Andrew and I drove up to Glenwood Springs with Oliver. We tried to get to Hanging Lake, but the exit was closed for repair. On our drive to Aspen, we decided to stop and finally check it out. Let me start this post by telling you not to do this with little kids.

The highway, I-70, splits because of the canyon. I-70 westbound is higher than I-70 eastbound at parts. So, you actually can only get to Hanging Lake going eastbound. We were going west. So, what we had to do was exit 121 and then follow the signs to go back east. On the way east, there is exit 125 for Hanging Lake. However, when you leave Hanging Lake, you can only get back on the highway going west. That was good for us, since we wanted to head west to Glenwood Springs to then head south the Aspen.

There were two large parking lots for Hanging Lake. The place was packed! Our kids were happy to be out of the car, so we hung out on the grass for a bit and played with leaves. Then we walked on paved sidewalk for about half
Here, Jo, Eat This LeafHere, Jo, Eat This LeafHere, Jo, Eat This Leaf

Oliver's always looking out for his little sister.
a mile to the trailhead. That's as far as we got.

On the way to the trailhead, two people stopped us to ask if we knew what we were getting into. After the second person stopped us, Andrew and I knew we wouldn't be getting to Hanging Lake today. At the trailhead, we looked at the posted map. The hike up to Hanging Lake is 1.2 miles. However, in that 1.2 miles, you gain 1,000 feet in altitude. It's straight up.

We stood at the trailhead and laughed at ourselves. As people came down from the hike, we heard exclamations of, "I'm never doing that again!" and "Oh my goodness, we made it back!" Apparently, it's not the kind of hike you do with two kids under the age of three.

The trip wasn't a waste. We hung out at the trailhead. The Colorado River wound through, and a little stream broke off from it nearby. We sat at the water's edge and played with leaves and rocks. The kids had a great time! The canyons in this area are sharp and stunning. All the golden aspens added to the beauty. So, we got to play, stretch,
Walking to the Hanging Lake TrailheadWalking to the Hanging Lake TrailheadWalking to the Hanging Lake Trailhead

We never did make it to Hanging Lake, but the walk to the trail was lovely.
and enjoy the views. There may have been a tantrum or two (thanks, Oliver), but, overall, it was a very worthwhile stop for us. Colorado really is a beautiful state.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Playing at the Colorado RiverPlaying at the Colorado River
Playing at the Colorado River

There was a little offshoot of the Colorado River near the Hanging Lake trail head that the kids loved playing at.
Jo's Trying to Jump InJo's Trying to Jump In
Jo's Trying to Jump In

Seriously, Jo kept throwing herself at the water, trying to get in. She's a little fish.
Look!Look!
Look!

We still don't know what Jo was pointing to, but she was definitely interested in something.
Joanna and Me Joanna and Me
Joanna and Me

We're near Hanging Lake, just outside of Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
The Kids and MeThe Kids and Me
The Kids and Me

OK, so we couldn't go up to Hanging Lake with the kiddos, but they still manage to make everything more awesome. We had a great time.
My GuysMy Guys
My Guys

They're running to the Colorado River. Andrew told Oliver he could throw one rock in.
The Colorado RiverThe Colorado River
The Colorado River

Here is the Colorado River and the canyons just outside of Glenwood Springs, Colorado.


Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb