Volunteering (or trying to)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Durango
August 19th 2012
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We had a guest at breakfastWe had a guest at breakfastWe had a guest at breakfast

Maybe he was hoping to warm his hands? (no, there wasn't a fire at the time)
Geo: 37.2737, -107.879

Our volunteer assignment wasn't until noon, so we had a leisurely morning. A breakfast of oatmeal started us out, then we took a stroll along the shore of the lake -- just gorgeous. Such a beautiful morning.

We packed up, and made our way up to the resort early. We gave ourselves time to go buy some sandwiches for lunch (which we planned to put in the cooler), though we decided to just eat lunch early.

Our assignment was as course marshalls for the amateur ride, from Durango to the resort and back. Keep the riders from crossing the highway until the nice state trooper says it's safe.

Back at the car, as we were applying sunscreen prior to standing in the sun for 3 hours, we saw a Nissan official race vehicle pull in, stop, and then we heard a "woo-hoo". I thought to myself, "They just said the ride is done, didn't they?".

Yup.

So, feeling rather like we didn't really deserve the volunteer gift bags we got (and sad that we didn't get to wave our orange safety flags around), we packed up, and drove down to Trimble Hot Springs, to say hello to my old school friend Tom Garcia. A (too) brief chat was lovely, but we needed to hit the road to Telluride.

On the way over, we stopped just outside o Rico, where the rise of the road could be seen from a little ways back. It seemed like a good spot to put a message on the road.

As we've become more & more fond of Jens Voigt, we decided to invoke one of our favorite Road ID commercials from this season, and sprayed "It's Not A Date.....It's A Ride". Don't know if any of the guys saw it or not, but it amused us.

Later, as we approached a rise coming up to Lizard Head Pass, we found a spot to spray "Shut Up Legs", which Jens has written on his top tube.

We arrived in Telluride around 4:30, and made ourselves at home with Sara & Mike. I had a little travel agent stuff to do, but once that was done, we could go grab some dinner, which we did. Sara also gave me my very first cycling jersey for my birthday -- so awesome!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb