Kayaking the Albion River


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Mendocino
April 19th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.3078, -123.798

Tuesday, April 19 and Wednesday April 20 Kayaking the Albion River
Decided to go and do some kayaking after eating breakfast at the headlands at Russian Gulch. While we were eating breakfast the first day, three gray whales came into the cove and glided around for a while and then headed on down the coastline as far as we could tell.
Went to Albion Campground to rent the kayak. It is a very easy process; go to office and pay, then out to storage container to get paddles and lifejackets and then go down and pick out which kayak to use and off you go!
We got to watch mother harbor seals with their young baby that were quite fun to watch. At times it appeared as though they were watching us as well. On both days the tide was coming into the river from the ocean which made for easier paddling. The tide was turning as we headed back toward the dock. One thing we did learn all over again is the earlier you leave in the morning, the better because the wind comes up in the afternoon.
The crane and heron rookery is still in the trees across from the campground and we did see a few up in the trees. There were other waterfowl but we were not able to make a call on them because we have no book to guide us.
At one point the mother seal decided to get out on the island in the middle of the river. The poor baby was not able to get right up and was making such a pitiful crying sound but finally did suceed!
Did get to watch an osprey catch a fish and fly off with it and also an osprey on a nest. The second day we saw a vintage power boat come past us and we headed up the river where they had gone and there were three more floating houseboats moored up river. It appears they have either solar or some other power source because you see no electrical lines running out to them. The wind had picked up and we had to hug the shore because there were actually white caps!
The only downside to this kayaking experience is the kayaks are sit on top kayaks and the person in the front is sitting in water most of the time, but hey enjoy the scenery and good exercise!'



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

kayaking the Albion riverkayaking the Albion river
kayaking the Albion river

interesting houseboat in the middle of the river
kayaking the Albion riverkayaking the Albion river
kayaking the Albion river

bridge over the Albion river, campground in the foreground
kayaking the Albion riverkayaking the Albion river
kayaking the Albion river

road on the drive to the Albion river
kayaking the Albion riverkayaking the Albion river
kayaking the Albion river

Laura, her kayaking gear and the rent car


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb