Whales, lighthouse and other adventures


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.3085, -123.809

What a luxury we are experiencing this trip. We set up our stove and fix our first coffee right outside the tent where we can then check the weather and Daily Word and then the day is ready to begin.

Drove up to the picnic area to all decided to walk the headlands and check out the view. The flowers were not as profuse as they had been last year but were still beautiful. We were out at the edge of the headlands when John exclaims, "there is a whale!" Sure enough, there was one then another and before we had finished our walk had seen three or four. They evidently are moving up the coastline a little later than they usually do. Someone had told John and Cindy the Monterey bay water was shifting and the water that had been deep was coming to the surface with lots of nutrients and this was the reason the whales were still around.

Back to the picnic table where we shared fruit, cheese, and crackers and another pot of coffee! It was all very delicious and then we decided to go check out the Point Cabrillo lighthouse. Parked the car and walked the 1/2 mile down to the lighthouse. The light is a Fresnel lens which is a very rare lens and there are currently only three operating in the United States. They had a live feed of the lens and it was very interesting to watch.

From there it was off to Fort Bragg to do a little thrift store shopping. Had discovered I had not packed our bowls and so were in search of something to work in their place. Nine inch pie pans were the ticket and should do us well.

Had lunch at MacKerricher park of hummus, artichoke tempanade, sliced tomatoes and spinach. Very nice and while we were there, more whales appeared. What a treat this day was.

Back to the Big River and walked a ways with the dogs and then decided to turn around because it was sunnier than we had expected. Back to the campsite where we had a shared meal of black beans, rice, guacamole, pico de gallo and wine. Had a nice visit and then off to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



14th June 2014

Would love to know what kind of bird this is, please share.
16th June 2014

Thanks Donna, think it is a Pigeon Guillemot ! All the best to

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb