Albion River and leaping whales


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.3085, -123.809

Decided to go for a paddle on the Albion River since John and Cindy had not done that river. Went to the church kayak rental place but could not use their kayaks because they did not allow dogs nor would they allow dogs to be left in the car so off we went in search of another place. Went to the Albion River Campground, and unfortunately there kayaks were all sit on tops and so we decided to go with a canoe. Cindy and John were going to paddle on their stand up boards with their dogs on the boards with them!

Got everything gathered up and set off. The tide was coming in and so we were able to move along at a nice pace. The seals were out and seemed to enjoy taking a look at us as we would go past! Nonny could not help himself and into the water after one of the seals! The seal seemed to enjoy popping up and then diving as the dog paddled this way and that. Cindy got him back up on the board but when another seal would appear, off the board she would go! Cindy got tired of dealing with it and headed back but we continued on down the river.

The unusual house was still in the middle of the river and there were some people staying there and they had dogs that of course started barking when John and Cindy's dogs appeared!

Got to the end of the navigable part of the river and stopped and enjoyed watching a group of commorants sunning themselves in the trees above our head. We then headed back toward the dock and got to see a mother seal with her baby. She apparently was training it to "play deal" to protect itself from predators because it just hung in the water not moving and then finally it moved off. Was a real treat to see this.

Got back to the dock, said goodbye to John and Cindy who are going to try to make it to Lake Tahoe and back before they go to the nephews graduation in Berkeley.

We went back to the picnic area to fix our lunch. Robert all of a sudden calls out, "there is a whale!" This whale was inside the headlands near enough to see quite well. There were actually two of them and then one of them jumped up and out of the water!!!!! What a treat. Had potato, egg, onion and peppers for lunch. (We had gotten a lot of potatoes, peppers and onions on the bargain table at Berkeley Bowl so had to eat them up). Did a little more sightseeing during the afternoon and then back to picnic area for dinner of salmon salad.



Additional photos below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



14th June 2014

Oh my what a GREAT picture of you two. You are seldom seen together among the thousands of postings - so happy you took time to pose. Love it!Donna H.
16th June 2014

Great Picture!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb