Travel Day Oak Park to Aulani!


Advertisement
Published: March 21st 2023
Edit Blog Post

On our way to the island of Oahu!

We were picked up early in the morning by our friend David in his Escalade with just enough room for Vivian to share a seat with whoever would take her (Nathan, Steve, Tory all took turns.) At the airport, LAX, we had a funny moment where Vivian was asked which way she wanted to get up to the next level by pointing at 2 options, the escalator or the elevator. She didn't know the name of the escalator, so she made up the name step-a-vator! The flight went pretty well, Vivian had a good nap and the 6 hours to Hawaii is not bad when you are anticipating what is there. Plus, Tory brought some great toys and books to entertain the kids.

Once landing in Honolulu, Steve went to get the rental mini-van and we made a stop at a local place called Mark's Drive Inn, which was more of a takeout place than we realized. We were hungry so although the food wasn't great, the cheeseburgers and seafood did the job. Before a grocery stop at Safeway and heading to the Aulani resort, we drove through a much different Island than Maui because it was developed of large office buildings and businesses instead of the green fields, winding ocean drives, and scenery you usually expect to see in Hawaii. The nice part about the 3-hour time change from California to Hawaii was being able to check into our room and go down to the water park area with the kids to have some fun. The kids found the energy after being cooped up all day traveling to run all over the pirate ship play structure, then Tory, Steve, Susie, and the kids all hopped on inner tubes to cruise around the lazy river.

Back at the room was an easy hot dog, carrots, and buttered bread dinner for the kids. The kids settled in and were asleep for a 7 pm bedtime (in Hawaii) so that Susie and George could go grab their own dinner at the Ulu Cafe. Steve and Tory went out to the Off the Hook restaurant later and had some delicious Ahi Tuna. Surely, this will not be the last time we eat any fish on this trip? It won't be, and stop calling me Shirley. (credit to Naked Gun.)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1mb