Wow!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
July 8th 2011
Published: July 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We may have had our WOW moment of our trip today. Despite having difficulty finding parking (for the truck and camper which the ranger said we would have no problem finding space for), walking a long ways and not having a clear understanding of where we were going, we did make it to Lake Powell Resort in time to catch our 7:30 tour to Rainbow Bridge.

Driving in a couple days ago, we caught a glimpse of Lake Powell and it was quite stunning. That view, however, could not compare to what we saw from the water. The cliffs are fantastic, colorful and everywhere. Truly, there are not enough words. The boys were well-behaved (due to audio headsets, well-planned snacks and scratch-off sketch books); Jeff had nice conversations with the captain; none of us got a sunburn.

Rainbow Bridge is the largest natural bridge and one of the seven natural wonders of the world. With the water level as high as it is, it was a very short walk to the bridge, although we could see half of it from the dock. The size is even more impressive considering that the creek is so small. We took a few photos and returned to the boat to complete the tour and head off for Cedar City.

Every time we drive windy mountain roads, I wonder why I include it in our itinerary. Jeff is a completely capable driver, but the shaking as he finally decides to break gives me motion sickness.

We are staying at Cedar City KOA for the next four nights. It's a nice place and we're convenient to laundry, the pool and town, although it looks like there are big events here this weekend so we're going to escape. We were advised to eat at Sully's Cafe, but it was nothing special. The boys are watching Scooby Doo since we are having the most sustained rain we've had this trip.

- - - - -

Today, we learned that arches are formed by wind and gravity, whereas bridges are formed by water.

We forgot binoculars.

Conversation of the Day:
L - Mom, keep one person with a child at all times.
K - Okay.
L - What about me?
K - You're a child.
L - No, I'm not.

High Temperature: 100, in Page AZ
Busy BoysBusy BoysBusy Boys

These scratch off sketch books kept them occupied for nearly 2 hours.

Low Temperature: 62, east of Cedar City UT

Miles: 171

Geocaches Found: 2

Projects Knitted: Stained Glass Cloth





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

First ViewFirst View
First View

When the water level is lower, the bridge isn't visible from the dock. The level has risen quickly this year and is expected to rise another 10 feet.
UsUs
Us

The boys make silly faces and Jeff doesn't smile, so I'm not sure why I keep trying.
Jeff & the CaptainJeff & the Captain
Jeff & the Captain

They had many conversations about RVs, boating on the lake, the lake, geology, etcetera.
See the Beaver?See the Beaver?
See the Beaver?

I think I see a better walrus.
Sneaky ColeSneaky Cole
Sneaky Cole

He was trying to not let me take his picture as we were finishing our tour.


9th July 2011

Sounds like a good day
I have a blog on here too and just came across yours one day while browsing. Sounds like you all had a great day! Just wanted to say I stayed at the Cedar City KOA once. It was really nice and I slept great there. Hope you all have a great time and the weather clears up!! =)
9th July 2011
See the Beaver?

I'm with you
I think it looks more like a walrus, too.
10th July 2011

Thanks! I'm not sure what he was thinking.

Tot: 0.424s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 63; dbt: 0.3033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb