Jerome ghost town


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Jerome
January 24th 2019
Published: January 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Not long in the past, Jerome was one of Arizona's richest town, due to its copper mines. Jerome is perched in the mountains, so it wasn't practical to transport the ore directly from Jerome to a big foundry. Instead, they did a quick transport to Clarksdale below, and then railroad was built to bring copper on long distances. Clarksdale, founded by rich man William Clark is a pleasant small town. You can visit the railway museum and also do train tours of the surroundings.

Climbing to Jerome is quite abrupt. The day we went, weather was really gray with fog, so it added some "ambiance" when we visited the ghost town. Jerome was in the 40s and 50s, a town with several dozens of thousands peoples, but then population decreased rapidly when the mines closed. It's now a tourist place, and this city is built directly on mountains slopes. You might wonder is some houses could fall in a precipice eventually if there's erosion.

The ghost town, is an old village of wooden houses, full of old cars, trucks, and other old machines. It's a testimony to busier times, but also a museum to capitalism.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement





Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb