Palmer


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Palmer
June 8th 2008
Published: June 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dave in Alaska in JuneDave in Alaska in JuneDave in Alaska in June

Does this look refreshing to all our friends and relatives on the East Coast in your 90 and 100 degree weather?
A lazy Sunday morning. Sleeping in is so much fun. After driving into town to checkout Palmer, we stopped to say “Hi” to Vera, owner of Fantastic Fibers. Her mother Greta goes to the gym that Dave and I belong to back in Raynham. It is a small world.

Independence Mine State Historical Park was our next destination. Driving up to Hatcher Pass is a very scenic 10 mile drive, when the clouds do not have everything socked in. We were lucky though, the clouds really stayed on the very tops of the mountains and we did get some views of the valley.

When we reached the Mine we saw that Hatcher Pass was still closed. We overheard people speculating that they would be lucky if it was opened by July 4th. There was a late-season, substantial snowfall this year and even the Mine wasn’t opened yet. Dave and I go to Florida in January - March, to get away from the winter, but we found winter here in Alaska in June. There was still several feet of snow on the ground. Eat your heart out all of you on the East Coast who complained about the 90 and 100 degree weather there.

As we approached the Park, clouds starting moving in and as we walked the mile long road to the Mine the clouds and the fog grew denser. We were able to walk on the partially shoveled paths and did see the old buildings that were part of the Independence Mine. It was a pretty cool place, and I bet it looks spectacular to see the town in it’s entirety instead of one building at a time.

We stopped at the Noisy Goose for lunch. It’s quite the place. They serve breakfast all day, the place is always packed and the food is great. We toyed with the idea of visiting the Transportation Museum in Wasilla but decided to forgo it. Just a lazy Sunday in Alaska.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 94; dbt: 0.131s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb