Palmer to Valdez


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
June 9th 2008
Published: June 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Palmer to Valdez


Heading east on the Glenn Highway out of Palmer is a very scenic ride through the Matanuska Valley. This highway takes you along the Matanuska River and practically right up to the Matanuska Glacier. Dave and I hiked a short trail to the scenic viewpoints at the glacier. We had excellent views of the Chugach Mountains along the highway. Another very beautiful spot along the way was the colorful 6,300 foot Sheep Mountain, which lived up to it’s name and was dotted with sheep on the steep walls.

After reaching Glennallen, we headed down the Richardson Highway toward Valdez. We passed the Alaska Pipeline along this route as it heads to and terminates in Valdez. Stopping at the Wrangell/St. Elias National Park we picked up brochures and a map for the Kennicott Mine, which we hope to see on our way out. The sun came out this afternoon and the temperature was in the low 60s. We had a great ride over the Thompson Pass and into the Keystone Canyon where the waterfalls there are unbelievably beautiful, especially Bridal Veil Falls and Horsetail Falls.

It was very overcast and cold, in the low 40’s, when we got into Valdez. The area is a very lush green from all the rain, I’m sure and the flowers are very much in bloom , although there are no salmon running yet. We found a campsite at Bay Side RV and the park was okay, but the bathrooms were immaculate. A woman was in the middle of the campground, feeding the seagulls. I was later told that she was actually feeding the eagles, as they are starving because the salmon are three weeks late in their annual run. But as Dave says, ”What do they eat the rest of the year when the salmon aren’t around, because they only run a couple of weeks in the spring?” I did get some great shots of the eagles as they flew over my head.

When we stopped to take pictures today at the falls, we noticed a burnt smell coming from the engine. The overflow for the radiator was empty and there was blue liquid on the front of the grill. Not a good sign. The engine never overheated, in fact the gauge never moved above where it normally is. We bought some antifreeze, filled the overflow and will decide in the morning what our course of action will be.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Great Lunch SpotGreat Lunch Spot
Great Lunch Spot

Chugach Mountains in background


Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 90; dbt: 0.0993s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb