A fiesta, a fundraiser and an evening of music


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
February 8th 2014
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 20.9537, -105.354

Lo de Marcos is a laid back happy little town where hundreds of gringos from Canada and the US have come to roost. But shhhhh. They don't want anyone to know.

We like it here a lot--much better than white bread Puerto Vallarta. It's warmer than San Carlos and Mazatlán and smaller than both. All along this coast from San Blas to PV are small villages where you'll most always find gringos--we love this sand and surf, don't we?

Here the white folks from the north have formed a group called the Amigos of Lo de Marcos and they organize fundraisers for the school and the community. One such event was this silent auction and night of music we went to tonight. It's a gringo party though--a few Mexicans came but not many. This is the gringos putting on the party and doing a bit of back slapping, too.

It was nice to see them putting their resources to a good cause but we missed the Mexican presence. No Mexican music, very few local families--pretty exclusionary.

The next night we spoke to a man from Colorado living in Lo de Marcos with his Mexican wife and asked him how the Amigos
The Amigos of Lo de Marcos start recyclingThe Amigos of Lo de Marcos start recyclingThe Amigos of Lo de Marcos start recycling

Supported by a group of gringos calling themselves the Amigos of Lo de Marcos, the town's recycling program has been a rousing success. Visitors from the north use their own pickups to gather up the plastic and glass so there's no cost to the town.
efforts were viewed by the townspeople.

He said this was a good honest group--the money they raised went where they said it would. Period. So I pressed him--what did the locals think of that?

Well, he said a little hesitantly. No Mexican wants someone coming down here and telling him he's doing everything all wrong.

No, I don't suppose anyone would want to hear that about themselves, Mexican or not. But there lies the problem. How do you help a people who obviously (to northerners) need assistance, without being resented?



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Saul makes absolutely the best tacos Saul makes absolutely the best tacos
Saul makes absolutely the best tacos

He takes thin slices of the most tender steak, seasons it, tosses it on a hot grill and fills his wife's amazing fresh tortillas with it. Then you take them to the condiment table and pile on the onions, radishes, cheese, pico de gallo, cilantro, hot sauce, guacamole...it's paradise.
Saul's wife mixes up fresh tortillasSaul's wife mixes up fresh tortillas
Saul's wife mixes up fresh tortillas

These are the best tortillas ever ever ever. If you come to Lo de Marcos it's worth the wait in line for these.
Banjo bandBanjo band
Banjo band

One of the rv-ers has started a banjo band, bringing down a car load of banjos every year for the kids. If they stay with the band for a few weeks, he lets them keep the banjos.
The kids were the best partThe kids were the best part
The kids were the best part

Well, after the tacos and the music anyway


10th February 2014

What a wonderful time you are having in the warm sunny weather. We are freezing in the cold snow ice we are having. Can't get to work and schools are closed. The only ones love it is the kids! Have a wonderful time and stay safe.
11th February 2014

Looks and sounds like you having a really good time. It's going for the high 80's this week, but we have no ocean view. Find me a place close to the beach for next year.
11th February 2014

We got it. Right here. We're in the ocean every day. Gorgeous sandy beach, tall palms, hot showers.
11th February 2014

You both sound like you are having a great time. In the ocean and on the sandy beach! That is the best! While we are cold and pretty white out in the West! Keep having fun and stay safe! Your travel is so much fun to read. Thank You for
sharing!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb