Where dusty fishing village meets easy elegance


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
February 9th 2014
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 90, -169.789

The Sunday market we found in Cruz de Huanacaxtle could just as easily fit in Scottsdale, AZ or any other upscale marketplace.

The artistry of the individual vendors was elegant and the classy marina provided the perfect setting. We enjoyed the market immensely--it was beautiful and I was glad these talented artists have a venue for their creations, it just was not a place where we were going to buy anything. It was a morning for browsing and appreciating the creative genius of others.

The location of this sleepy fishing village between Puerto Vallarta and Punta de Mita (rich condo-clave) has doomed it -- there's nothing along that whole bay untouched by greedy development and Cruz is no exception. It's humble Mexican village turning I'm afraid, into another millionaire playground.

But right now outside the marina area you can still find bits of Mexico, bits fading fast.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sewing  your way out of hellSewing  your way out of hell
Sewing your way out of hell

Wrongly tossed in a women's prison outside Guadalajara, Rebecca Roth found making dolls to be her salvation. She started by making one for a little girl who with her mother and 12 other women, shared a cell made for seven. The little girl had nothing to play with but an empty coke bottle so Rebecca figured she'd combat her hopelessness by making the child a cloth doll. Soon she was teaching other women how to make dolls, and 5 years later when the courts reversed their decision and she was free. Outside now, she has continued helping women convicts make dolls and sells them all over Mexico at upscale marketplaces and galleries. If you want more information or would like to donate materials, check out www.prisondolls.com.


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb