Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
February 22nd 2015
Published: February 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

This morning we walked north along the beach past the smaller pier. There is a huge spa hotel down by this pier. More guys raking up the kelp. We wondered what they do with all this kelp, and we saw that they dig a big hole and bury it on the beach. Saw that many of the luxury hotels up in this area have sun beds, with a thick mattress, pillow, and overhanging canopy.

We took our books down to the main hostel area and both grabbed a hammock. Bob was now in his element! Thought we might come back to the Yak Hostel after our time in Cozumel. Asked if there might be a quieter room. Last night, Saturday night, was very noisy, with music going until about 5am. This wasn't from within the hostel though, since they turn off their music at midnight. It was coming from downtown Carmen. These people really do know how to party!

Lunchtime we headed out to our favorite Tortas y Tacos place from yesterday. This time we tried their hamburger and grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Both excellent. And again we came back with extra food. Then back again to the hammocks!

Back out later for another walk. As usual, we were hung up at the gate with our key. One nice young man stopped to help. He probably thought we were dumb tourists who couldn't get out of our hotel! We walked to the Nuestra Senora Catholic Church, just a few blocks from the hotel. This was listed online as one of the top sights in Carmen. Located on Avenue 15 and 12th, it is a very quaint, totally white structure built in 1878. The church was very simple yet beautiful. The online writeup says there is a beautiful view of the ocean, which we did not see. Might have to check it out again. We also found Walmart on this trip, and walked through just to compare some of their prices.

Had a good taco dinner at TaconTenedor again, this time shrimp and smoked marlin. Another long interesting walk through the city. We noticed a couple of fish tank spas. You sit with your feet in the water and the fish eat off all the dead skin. Must be a strange feeling. Pedometer read 7.2 miles at the end of the day.

Tomorrow we take the ferry across to Cozumel for a few days.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.2297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb