Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
February 21st 2015
Published: February 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Good breakfast included at the Hostel Yak this morning, probably the best we have had at a hostel so far this trip--coffee, rolls, papaya and pineapple, and cereal. Our hostel is very secure. We have trouble getting in and out of our gate with the key! But in our defense, we don't seem to be the only ones. 72 degrees this morning, heading to a high of 79, very pleasant for a morning walk. Not too many people out at 9:00 in the morning. This seems to be a party late, sleep late kind of town. This time I noticed several cigar shops and cigar bars in the area. Our destination this morning was the laundry. Your laundry is weighed and you are charged by the kilogram. Cost for us to be slightly over $3, quite a bargain to get out of doing laundry!

We walked down to the pier again, got some information about getting to Cozumel in a few days. There are three companies that run ferries, and you should get down to buy tickets about 15 minutes before your preferred leaving time. The return ticket should be purchased in Cozumel, otherwise you will be set to a specific departure time. Continued to walk the beach past the pier. Walked through a Senor Frogs to get back to the beach. The bar had some cute swing chairs with life saver ring seats. The beach sand is so very soft and fine on the feet, perfect for barefoot walking. Good day again for windsurfing. Many luxurious hotels right on the beach. Several guys out raking up the kelp on the beach, a never-ending job.

Another walk around the city at lunchtime. We took crosswords and books to a nearby park, and found one of the few shaded benches. Several doves in the park. We thought we would check out the Walmart, supposedly two blocks up from the hotel. We didn't find it, how can you miss a Walmart? Found a great place for lunch, Torta y Tacos, on Avenue 10 between 8th and 10th Streets. Very small place, limited to seating at a couple of tables in front and stool seating along the counter. They specialize in sandwiches, tacos, hamburgers. The portions are huge, food excellent, and prices reasonable. We had wonderful chicken tacos and a beef burrito. The milk shakes (licuardos) are so enormous, we took some back with us for the fridge.

Another walk around the city at night. A concert in the park, some spray painting artists along the streets, a fire-twirling dancer. We also checked out a few other hotels if we decide to stay in Carmen again after our return from Cozumel. Pedometer read 7 miles at the end of the day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb