Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
February 20th 2015
Published: February 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Off to Playa del Carmen this morning. The one hour bus ride cost 62p per person. We had reservations at Hostel Yak. This turned out to be a very clean, modern place, with fast WiFi, fridge, hotplate, and included breakfast. It contained a dormitory area and studio rooms (which is where we stayed). The lounge area in the dormitories is open to everyone, and contained some comfortable seating and hammocks! We found the city very clean, with many tourists, bikers, restaurants, coffee shops. The hostel lady told us that the shops along Avenue 10 were cheaper and geared more to the locals, while Avenue 5 was geared to the tourists. The beach is fairly close to the hostel, about two blocks away.

We found a spot for grilled tacos for lunch, then walked down to the beach. Today was fairly cool, high of 71, low of 60. There was a cool breeze coming off the ocean, sweatshirt weather. We walked down to the pier, where transportation to Cozumel leaves. A ferry and a catamaran leave many times a day. The boats are huge, capable of carrying hundreds of passengers. When we returned to the hostel, we asked for a blanket. He said usually they don't have blankets because the weather is warm, but today you could use one. He found us a couple of small ones in storage.

In the evening we took a long walk through the city. Very pretty at night with the lights strung on the trees, etc. We found a great place for seafood tacos right off 5th Avenue, TaconTenedor. We tried shrimp, grilled fish with pineapple, marlin, and calamari. All were tasty. As we walked along, Bob noticed a curling bonspiel on TV at one of the restaurants.

Tomorrow we will check out more of the city, and probably walk another section of the beach. Our pedometer read 6.9 miles at the end of the day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



21st February 2015

Uh oh, you're getting soft. Better come home soon or you won't be able to handle the MN winter anymore.
22nd February 2015

Catching up on your blogs
Hi Margie and Bob, We are catching up on all the blogs after our Swedish guests have now departed. Great that you are experiencing the Yucatan in the real Mexican way, meeting the people and eating local. It must have been wonderful to see the Mayan ruins and the cave pools. We have only been to Cozumel and see it from a cruise boat. Continued happy travels! Gail and Richard
22nd February 2015

HI Gail and Richard!
Thanks for following! Always good to hear from you.

Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1895s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb