Mexico 2016


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Melaque
January 23rd 2016
Published: January 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Barra de Navidad

Saturday

We walked up north again to the marina area. Passed by the Crazy Cactus Realty, which had several homes and condos listed. We were surprised that some sold for over $300,000. But others were in the low $100,000s. The expats in this area were very friendly. One lady even asked if she could take our picture for us. Most are Canadians, but we did see a license plate from Iowa. A circular architecture seemed to be popular. There are a lot of gates, wrought iron fencing, and flowering trees and plants. One street was all torn up and filled with water, probably sewer problems.

We continued our walk back through town, and down along the lagoon. We ran into the ice cream girl on the street and she recognized us. Behind a restaurant next to the Sand's Hotel was a large wire cage with a spider monkey. He was hanging on the side with his arms extended. I think he needed a friend.

Stopped at Paty's for comida corrida (our $3.50 lunch, delicious). The included drink was unfamiliar to us. We were told that it was carambola, or star fruit, and we were shown the fruit itself. It is yellow in color, has ridges that run down the sides, and in cross-section it resembles a star. The taste is likened to a mix of apple, pear, and grape. Very good.

Spent some time again reading in the lounge, then took another hike around the town. We checked out some souvenir shops; Bob was in a T-shirt shopping mood! We found a nice Barra de Navidad shirt. Then we made our daily visit to the ice cream shop. (Yes, Lynn, another ice cream cone!)

Took a late evening walk. Lots of late diners and some live music. Stopped at a taco stand around the corner from the hotel. Very busy place, and very good. Tonight is our last night here in Barra. Tomorrow we will take a cab back to Melaque, and Bob can get his hammock back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb