Mexico 2016


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Melaque
January 24th 2016
Published: January 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Melaque

Sunday

Spent the morning in Barra. Took a walk down by the pier. We talked to a guy down there and found out that the pier was severely damaged during Hurricane Patricia last year. They are building up the sides with big rocks to deter erosion, and will be rebuilding. We walked to the end of the current pier, past the big dredging equipment. Nice view inland from the end.

Took a cab back to Melaque for two days, back to Hotel Hacienda Melaque. Stop signs are apparently optional. Saw a man riding down the middle of the highway with his wheelchair, which seemed a bit dangerous. Bob said he was looking forward to getting back to the hotel and "his" hammock. Our room was not quite ready when we arrived, so we stashed our luggage in the lobby and went to the bus depot to get tickets to Puerto Vallarta for Tuesday (about $27 total). Then went back to get our books and hung out at the hammocks for a while. Unfortunately no painted buntings today. Watched football for a while in the room.

The owner of the sock thieves was here, but his dogs were not. We asked about them. They were chilling today at home, and tomorrow they are having a beach day. I think they may be a bit pampered! Later went out for a meal, but a couple of our favorite restaurants were closed. We walked by a sign "Pollo Asada" (grilled chicken). Whole chickens were grilling outside on a barrel-type grill. We each had a half chicken, so much food, with rice and cole slaw. Very reasonable as usual.

Later in the evening we went out for another walk and a snack. Ice cream, of course! We ended up at the central square. Very busy on a Sunday evening, family night. Lots of eating spots open around the square, booths with sweets and tacos, a man selling balloons and pull toys, a merry-go-round and screened-in trampoline for the kids. Hot dog stands are popular here too, which surprised us. Many little kids playing, skateboarders with light-flashing wheels, bikers. Fun place to hang out on a Sunday night. The main pavilion, which is usually empty, had a line of people waiting to buy popcorn. We see many motorcycles, many with three people, a little child in the middle.

Tomorrow is our last full day in Melaque. We probably will plan a hike to an area we haven't as yet explored.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb