A Jewel of a City


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guanajuato
February 16th 2007
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took a luxury bus from Mexico City to Guanajuato today, traveling through the countryside northwest of Mexico City for 4 and a half hours. This city is an old mining town, where silver was found before the Spanish arrived. It is in small basin surrounded by hills, and reached through a series of tunnels. Most of the city is only accessible by foot. The buildings are painted in many colors, and there is a magnificent theater in the middle.

The town is crowded (there is a university here, so there are lots of students), but really pleasant...with many small side streets and alleys, shops, parks, and museums. It warm during the day, and cool in the evening.

A few things I forgot to add to yesterdays blog: our taxi driver told us that most people cannot afford to live in the central part of Mexico City and many have a four to five hour daily commute to work! Also, it has been funny to see people in down jackets while we are in short sleeves...what seems warm to us is chilly for them!

We are staying in a house rented from friends of friends several hundred steps
Our kitchenOur kitchenOur kitchen

Our hosts built this and the house next door as rentals...they are both for sale now!
up above the center of town. We have't actually seen the house yet, since the owner has the key and will have just gotten back now. So, all for now....time to climb back up the hill!

Friday: Our house is beautiful....terraces on both levels with views over the city...It is so nice to have space and quiet again...even though the night is punctuated by the ever present barking dogs! Our hosts are interesting (both are artists) and have given us lots of info on the city and life here...

Today we slept in and are now just walking around the city..the streets are maze-like and there is something beautiful to see around every corner...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Iside the Teatro JuarezIside the Teatro Juarez
Iside the Teatro Juarez

This magnificent theater was built over a 100 years ago..in a Moorish style...very ornate both inside and out.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb