More Exploring


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guanajuato
February 17th 2007
Published: February 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

One of my favorite color choicesOne of my favorite color choicesOne of my favorite color choices

We can see this house from ours...
Last night we stayed in town for the singing groups that perform each weekend, dressed in period costumes, and singing popular Mexican folksongs while strolling through the town...

We had thought the town crowded on Thursday night, but yesterday afternoon and evening it was hard to walk around in some places! Everyone is polite and friendly, though, and there is a mix of college and high school students looking for action, tourists (a small minority of these are gringos), families with small children, and older people....

Walking home after dark is an adventure since the lights are out on about half the stairways we take home....but it feels very safe here, and there is no violent crime according to our hosts...

Today we walked around in a different direction and looked at more churches. All of the churches here are opulent, since there was a huge amount of money coming out of the mines for 200 years, and many of the rich felt a need to atone for their maltreatment of the miners before they died!

Later, we walked up another side of the hill through residential neighborhoods and cut over to the road used to carry
SunsetSunsetSunset

This was taken form the statue honoring the revolutionary hero, Pipila, a young man who tied a stone to his back to deflect the Spanish bullets and set fire to the wooden doors of the Spanish fortress, routing them out.
out the silver hundreds of years ago. Part of it still has the original cobblestones. After the internet, we will visit the University and more churches...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Plaza del la PazPlaza del la Paz
Plaza del la Paz

This whole town is a World Heritage site...the third named in the world, apparently.
Our casa, from the distanceOur casa, from the distance
Our casa, from the distance

This was taken from the old road.


Tot: 0.539s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 25; qc: 116; dbt: 0.1675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb