Hiking and Mines


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guanajuato
February 19th 2007
Published: February 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we took a taxi up to the small lakes at one end of the valley or bowl where the town is located, and walked back down. There were lots of old, beautiful government buildings along the way down....I went into one "museum" that turned out to be a very hokey haunted house...

Today we took a taxi up to a mining town above Guanajuato, where there is a decaying but lovely old church ad an active silver mine. The church was locked but I asked woman nearby if it would open later. Turned out she had the keys in her house and let us in....

Next we decided to hike up to one the pilgrimage sites on a near-by mountain, passing by a few silver mines. The hike took about an half hour each way, but with the altitude here, it´s harder than home! I stopped to buy some silver nuggets and and another rock from a sidewalk vendor who had helped us to find the trail up the mountain. We then walked back to town and collapsed in an old restaurant/hotel by the market and had lunch....

We will get a tour of our hosts´ home
On our hosts´ patioOn our hosts´ patioOn our hosts´ patio

They own the house where we are staying. They bought this house when it was a ruin....
and art work tonight...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Gears at the mine RayasGears at the mine Rayas
Gears at the mine Rayas

This mine was started in 1550....and is still going!


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb