A Trip to Christo Rey


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guanajuato
February 21st 2007
Published: February 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we took a public bus for over an hour on dirt roads to the "Christo Rey", a giant bronze statue of Jesus erected in the geographic center of Mexico... the bus ride was great...some little towns, but mostly open land with long views across the valleys. There were many mines along the way, so for gold, and some for silver.

On the way back, we visited the Templo de Valencia, with three giant gold covered altars. This was built to appease God after the mine owners treated their workers so badly...

We tried to visit the Mineral Museum at the mining school, but got there too late..we´ll go tomorrow. We also visited the fort in town where the Mexican Revolution started in 1910. The displays are really well done.

Tomorrow we will buy a few gifts, vist a few more museums, and enjoy one of our last days of sun before returning to rainy and cold Seattle....




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Looking back the way we came from Christo ReyLooking back the way we came from Christo Rey
Looking back the way we came from Christo Rey

There is a paved road here too, but we took the unpaved one. On the way back, the bus filled up with high school students heading for Guanajuato and the afternoon session of school. They will finish around 7:30 and then bus for an hour back to their villages..


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb