Valentine's Day in Mexico City


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
February 14th 2007
Published: February 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had another great day, visiting museums and walking around in the warm, warm weather!

Yesterday we took the "Turibus" a fairly new bus service that costs $10.00 a person and lets you travel a set curcuit all day, getting on and off as you like. We got stuck in a large political demonstration, but not for too long. We first stopped at the site of the Templo Major, part of the vast Aztec city that stood where the center of Mexico City is now. Next, we went on to the Anthropology Museum, where you could spend days....We then got back on the bus for a lengthy tour of the main parts of downtown Mexico City (the rich parts, actually)..ending up in one the restaurant areas where we ate in a small bookstore/restaurant....

Today we visited the Frida Khalo house and museum, the Leon Trotsky house and museum, the Diego Rivera museum, and the Museum of Belles Arts...!!
We found a very helpful taxi driver, who took us around and waited for for us for no additional charge...everyone here is very nice and helpful...we have not felt threatened or in danger at all...

Tomorrow we head to Guanajuato...



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The demonstrationThe demonstration
The demonstration

We saw a lot of the demonstrators walking back later in the day. They cheered and waved to us on the bus....they are from the political party that lost a very close election last year.
Leon TrotskyLeon Trotsky
Leon Trotsky

His house, where he was asassinated, is in the background. He enjoyed keeping rabbits and chickens in the yard...
The interior of the Museum of Belles ArtesThe interior of the Museum of Belles Artes
The interior of the Museum of Belles Artes

Two of the more famous of Diego Rivera's murals are here...the building is work of art itself...
Fountains in the Almeda CentralFountains in the Almeda Central
Fountains in the Almeda Central

There were couples of all ages kissing on benches everywhere, with vendors selling balloons for Valentine's Day...


Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb