Finally arrived in Mexico City


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
August 2nd 2023
Published: August 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

After a long long journey, which did not start off the best as although I could check in on line it would not let me book our seats - when we originally booked with Virgin they allocated us seats but then they changed the flight to connect in Orlando not New York. So being the savvy travellers as we are we went to the Virgin Twilight desk to get them to sort it out for us. This then opened the can or worms as there were only 2 seats left not together but hey ho we can live with that as I always just sleep but then to be told that one of the entertainments in one of the seats was out of order + it was also a long standing issue - not happy chappies but what can you do if they are the only seats left.





Anyway all’s well that ends well as when we checked in the following morning we were told that the out of order entertainment seat was on a different plane - woo hoo. Also, Mike was able to swap his seat with another traveller and finished up sat immediately
Angle of IndependenceAngle of IndependenceAngle of Independence

Great location for HSBC!
in front of me. We did have to pick our bags up in Orlando and move them to another carousel and then go through customs. I must admit I have never had to do that before as we never left the main part of the building. I can understand if you have to pick your bags up at baggage reclaim - ours is not to reason why and definitely not when confronted with customs officers.





We he a 4 hour stopover in Orlando before we got the next flight to Mexico City. The flight was okay but the fiasco getting the bags when we landed was a total nightmare. I always complain about the time Manchester get the bags out to baggage reclaim but Mexico City airport beats them hands down and was ridiculous and also at midnight when you have been flying all day it is not a experience you want. We get a taxi to our hotel and the hotel is really nice if totally honest. We decided that as when we take the 14 day tour down Mexico and the accommodation will be quite basic but hopefully clean we would treat ourselves and we certainly have done that. I had a really bad night sleep for me anyway as I had slept on the plane for several hours and then in the lounge for another couple - so I am taking back being a savvy traveller. Note to oneself, if you sleep during the day you are not going to sleep at night plus you have time differences errr dum or what!





When we get to a new city we usually like to take a hop on hop off bus as it gives you a flavour of what you want to see again. Well we were not disappointed especially the historical section. The Mexicans call it the Zocalo area. I was surprised to learn that you can still see a number of ruins from the Aztec era in the actual city the pyramids - well the basis of the ruins.



We went in the Sagrario Metropolitano which is next to the main cathedral. The Metropolitano is now the main parish church. The frontage is magnificent and if totally honest inside was not too extravagant which I feel is appropriate. So back on the hop
Palacio de Bellas ArtesPalacio de Bellas ArtesPalacio de Bellas Artes

Look at that roof can you imagine what it looks like from the inside - well I have to do also
on hop off bus to get back to the hotel as we felt we had been out all day but before this we see the angel of independence statue which it appears is hollow and covered in gold leaf. On another stop we went to the Palacio de Bellas Artes which I really wanted to go in and guess what if you are senior citizens it is free - I really wanted to see the roof from inside as I am sure I was told it was art deco but unfortunately a lot of the place was being renovated. However there were immense murals on the walls by world famous Mexican artists. They were a bit graphic with violent scenes and being so immense made quite a statement. You could not take photos so sorry cannot show you what I mean.





Taking it easy now as we still have a few more days on our own before we meet up with the tour travelling down through Mexico. This jet lag is really getting to us. We were wondering if it was because we landed after midnight - I have never had jet lag like this before or could it be I am getting older - YOU DECIDE but be careful never cross Paula if you want your head intact, ha ha

Advertisement



Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb