The Rest of the Alaska Highway


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon
July 10th 2009
Published: July 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

End of the HighwayEnd of the HighwayEnd of the Highway

We cut off at Tok before, so we drove the last section of the Alaska Highway in reverse.
We decided against driving to the Arctic Circle, which is a good thing considering we didn’t wake up until 9. Instead, we dallied and started the drive home. We stopped at a few waysides to take photos, getting nothing terribly spectacular. We also stopped at Rika’s Roadhouse near Delta Junction for a quick walk around and lunch. (Their tomato basil bisque was pretty good, as was their turtle cheesecake. Liam and I are suckers for cheesecake.) We also stopped in Delta Junction at the end of the highway sign. We hadn’t taken a good picture of the four of us in Alaska and this was really the last opportunity. I may use one by the giant mosquito instead, though.

I had forgotten just how bad big portions of the highway are. Since we haven’t seen much wildlife, we’re planning to stop at the Yukon Wildlife Preserve in Whitehorse tomorrow. We decided to drycamp the next few days, thinking a wayside rest, but found Lake Creek Campground for $12/night. It’s got huge spots, is in the trees and has free firewood. It’d be great if the boys weren’t behaving atrociously.

Anyway, my battery is about to die. I’m sitting here listening to the thunder, wondering when the rain will start and hoping against hope that the boys will stop talking very soon so we can all fall asleep.


Conversation of the Day:

C: It’s a worker. (waking up from his too-short nap as we stopped for construction)
M: Yup, it’s a worker.
C: Just one.

License Plates Noticed: AK, WA, YK, WY, IL, NV, FL

High Temperature: 72o (Northway Junction, AK)
Low Temperature: 64o (Fairbanks, AK)

Miles: 375.4

Total Time on the Road: 9:13



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sebastopol GeeseSebastopol Geese
Sebastopol Geese

The one at left was not very happy to see us, or wanted us to let him out. I'd favor the first.
Big eatersBig eaters
Big eaters

The roadhouse has a restaurant with soups, sandwiches, etcetera. Cole wouldn't eat the buffalo, but chowed down on the halibut.
Cheesecake snobCheesecake snob
Cheesecake snob

Liam has developed an affinity for cheesecake, like me. He tried to eat half of my Cheesecake Factory turtle cheesecake here.
Actual sizeActual size
Actual size

Yes, the mosquitos do seem this big in Alaska. Thankfully, they don't carry disease like they do in Minnesota.
Johnson RiverJohnson River
Johnson River

Many of the rivers up here are called braid rivers because they run in different channels depending on water flow.


Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb