Wandering in Quebec


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
July 30th 2008
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.8266, -71.3024

We took our time this morning. We had a great and inexpensive breakfast at the restaurant connected to our hotel. We retraced our steps from yesterday stopping to take some photos at interesting spots. Went into the church of Notre-Dame-Des-Victoires. Found an altar there dedicated to St Genevieve. Walked up to the Chateau Frontenac and investigated the archaelogical excavations of the former Chateau St Louis which had been the original Governor's residence.
We then climbed the stairs, constituting the Governor's Promenade. This was built to commemorate the 350th anniversary. This climbs up the Hillface to the Plains of Abraham. Great views along the way. The Plains of Abraham was where Gen Woolfe attacked the French forces of Montcalm in 1759 and won the victory that established Canada as part of the British, rather than the French Empire. This is now a National Park.
We then went into the Citadel which is now the headquarters of the 22nd Regiment of the Canadian Armed Forces. It is also a residence of the Governor- General of Canada. We didn't pay to do the tour but it was interesting to see how impregnable this site would be.
We walked back down into the old city and had a great lunch at Cafe Conti. the Duck Ravioli was sensational.
We then found the Musee deFort. Here a former history teacher has set up a diorama and audio visual presentation which depicts the events of 1759.We went in to watch this which was excellent and gave us a better understanding of the history of this place.
We then drove up to the Hilton to check in.
After that we walked back down to the old town and browsed through various shops. After a pleasant dinner at the Cafe De Paris we returned to our hotel room.
We have enjoyed Quebec immensely. The French influence makes it more interesting, especially in regards to food and the conservation of the historical areas is great.
We leave tomorrow to drive to Boston. It is a long drive so we will see how far we get.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb