day 15 - toronto, ontario


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
June 4th 2010
Published: June 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We got a little bit of a sleep in today which was much needed as we woke feeling like rubbish. Too many drinks and not enough sleep will do that to you.
We had to meet in the lobby at 10:45 for our tour of the CN Tower.
It is a communications and observation tower standing 553.3 metres (1,815 ft) tall. It surpassed the height of the Ostankino Tower while still under construction in 1975, becoming the tallest free-standing structure on land in the world for the next 31 years. On September 12, 2007 the CN Tower was surpassed in height by Burj Khalifa (formerly known as Burj Dubai). It remains the tallest free-standing structure in the Western Hemisphere, the signature icon of Toronto's skyline, and a symbol of Canada.
At the top there is a glass floor much like the one in the Eureka building in Melbourne. We took some photos before heading down and making our way our way back into downtown for some lunch before meeting Justin and a few others back in the lobby at 1pm to catch the subway out to the Casa Loma.
Casa Loma is now a museum and landmark in uptown Toronto, constructed in the Gothic Revival style. It was originally a residence for financier Sir Henry Mill Pellatt and was constructed over a three-year period from 1911-1914.
The house cost approximately $3.5 million and took a team of 300 workers three years to build from start to finish. Unfortunately, due to the start of World War I, construction on the house was halted. At 98 rooms, it was the largest private residence in Canada. Notable amenities included an elevator, an oven large enough to cook an ox, two vertical passages for pipe organs, central vacuum, two secret passages in Sir Henry's ground-floor office and three bowling alleys (never completed).
Most of the third floor was left unfinished, and today serves as the Regimental Museum for The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada. Pellatt joined the Regiment as a Rifleman and rose through the ranks, eventually becoming the Commanding Officer. He was knighted for his dedication to the Regiment. Later, Pellatt served as the Honorary Colonel and was promoted to Major-General upon retirement.
During the depression that followed World War One, the City of Toronto increased Casa Loma's annual property taxes from $600 per year to $1,000 a month, and Pellatt, already experiencing financial difficulties,was forced to auction off $1.5-million in art and furnishings for only $250,000. Sir Henry was able to enjoy life in the house for less than ten years, leaving in 1923. It was later operated for a short time as a luxury hotel. During the late 1920s Casa Loma was also a popular nightspot. The Orange Blossoms, later known as Glen Gray and the Casa Loma Orchestra, played there for eight months in 1927-1928. Shortly thereafter, they went on tour of North America and became a major swing era dance band.
The city seized Casa Loma in 1933 for $27,303 in back taxes.
So thats the history of Casa Loma. The poor guy went broke and had to live in the slums of Toronto where, from his wondow he could see Casa Loma... unlucky.
After this we caught the train back into downtown where we went to Toronto's first post office. Here we were able to use old school quill pens to write a letter and seal it with the wax stuff, for only $1. A nice alternative to a post card.
We then made our way about 7 blocks to Toronto's Eaton Centre.
The is a hugeeeeeee shopping centre. We only had enough time to check out H&M and forever 21 before catching a cab back tot the hotel in time to leave for the baseball.
We made our way down to the Rogers Centre at 6:45pm for a 7:07pm start to see the Toronto Blue Jays take on the New York Yankees.
Mary and i lasted probably just under 2 hours before we got bored and left, at this stage the Blue Jays were winning. We came back to do some washing only to find a queue for that so had to fill in an hour before we could even put ours in. In that time i have done yesterdays and now this blog..
we are heading out to the club next door to our hotel when the washing and drying is done so that wont be probably until about 11:45. At least we dont have to go far to get there and home...

Ill update this later with the outcome of the club...

TBC..

so this is what played out for the remainder of the night.

we got ready and lined up at tryst next door to the hotel. we only had to wait about 10minutes and while we were waiting this tinted windows car pulls up and a lady was taken in through the back way. we asked security who it was and it was the singer Robin S. She was actually performing some songs at the club in about 20minutes time. For anyone who doesnt know her, she sings that song 'you've got to show me love' among others.
we went in, got patted down on entry and made our way to the bar. there was 4 of us, mary, mel, mark and myself (everyone else bailed, more fool them).
Robin S came out and did about 4 songs and that was her done for the night, but she was very good.
we stayed dancing the night away, they stop serving alcohol here at 2am but that didnt stop us. at some stage travis also joined us at the club. we left there about 3:15 and mel and i went to find something to eat. we found this amazing place called 'burrito bandidos. i swear the burritos were about 1kg each but they were so good. we went up to mary and my room and ate, shortly mary showed up and finished off the burritos. we got to bed probably about 4:15am after a very good night out.


Advertisement



7th June 2010

OMG! Robin S!! How fab!!! That song is just THE 90's for me! Love it even now! Oh, and those burritos sound gooooood!! God I miss America!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb