Rainy Toronto


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
June 24th 2011
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.6485, -79.3854

Were you wondering what happened to us?
We left Quebec on Tuesday morning and drove in the rain to Cornwall. We got up on Wednesday morning and drove in the rain again to downtown Toronto.
We are staying in the financial district in downtown Toronto.
On Wednesday morning we got up and headed out on the subway to Casa Loma. It is a restored castle on a hill overlooking Toronto. It was built in the 1920's by a banker. The first estimate to build was $250,000. At $3.5 million it was still not done. It had 98 rooms and a 5 acre garden. The owner fell on hard times and had to abandon it.
We then went to see the Spadina Museum. It is a house that was lived in by the same family from the 1860's to 1982. They gave it to the city of Toronto and it was opened for viewing in 1984. It has all of the furniture from the 1920's still in it. It was very neat.
We then took the subway down to the waterfront and found a nice Italian resturant for dinner along Lake Ontario.
This morning we got up and headed to the CNN tower. It was the tallest building in the world. Now it is the tallest building in North America. At the top viewing area it is 1400 feet above the ground. It was so tall that we were looking thru the clouds to see the ground. It had a section of the floor that was made of glass. You could look straight down and see the ground. Needless to say, Stacy wouldn't set foot on it. I was dancing all over it. They have a tour that goes outside the viewing area and you are tethered to a pipe and can walk around the top, but it was closed until August. Too bad!
After the tower, we walked to Old Fort York, which was built during the late 1800's to keep us Americans from conquering Canada. We took it over for a short while and then left.
We found our way back to our hotel for a little nap and then headed out for dinner. We found a great Steak resturant and had dinner.
Tomorrow we are going to Black Creek Pioneer Village for a tour and then we drive over to Niagra Falls for 3 nights. Then its on to Detroit and a visit with my family.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

McGill ManorMcGill Manor
McGill Manor

This was an old folks home we saw on the way to Cornwall. My mom can put my dad ther when he is old and feeble!


25th June 2011

Bob, it's the CN tower not the CNN tower. CN stands for Canadian National as in Railway. Other than that, good report and pictures.
28th June 2011

To many comments to make...so little time!!

Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb