More and more bears.


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Churchill
October 29th 2009
Published: October 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Curious bearCurious bearCurious bear

I was eyeing him up for a few minutes..
Greetings from a rainy Churchill!

All the ice has gone again! The temperature rose and melted it all, so the bears are happy just to sit tight and wait a bit longer.. I was talking to a guy from Manitoba Conservation as well as a couple of the Parks Canada guides, and they were saying that a lot of the bears this year are still down close to the Manitoba/Ontario border and that they still have a lot of body mass so they don't seem to have the urge to migrate north? It's an interesting theory, and there may be some truth behind it? However, bears seem to be moving into the area, we have had a couple of sets of mums and twins pass through. It was very exciting to see them, and a delight to see that they were in great condition..!
Dave.







Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Bear outside my bedroom.Bear outside my bedroom.
Bear outside my bedroom.

He slept here for most of the morning.
New ice formingNew ice forming
New ice forming

The Churchill river is starting to refreeze again.
Ice sculpturesIce sculptures
Ice sculptures

The ice is constantly changing with the tides.


29th October 2009

Jealousy!
I am so very jealous that you were able to get so close to such beautiful creatures! Let's hope that climate change doesn't destroy my possible opportunity to catch a glimpse of them too.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb