Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Memories


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
February 19th 2012
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Travelling Canucks at Olympic Cauldron Travelling Canucks at Olympic Cauldron Travelling Canucks at Olympic Cauldron

You could feel the energy and excitement at the Vancouver 2010 Olympic cauldron

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Memories



Looking back, the Travelling Canucks' Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic memories are Olympic-sized.

The most memorable experience of living in an Olympics host city besides watching Olympic athletes and visitors enjoying the games and witnessing inspired athletic performances, was the pride, excitement and patriotism on the streets and in our homes, not only in Vancouver, but across Canada.

With the sunshine, blue skies and warm weather, it was easy and fun to meet people on transit, in lineups, at pavilions and venues and while pin trading.

Being Canadians, we watched women's and men's hockey at the rink, at home or in the streets with thousands of fellow hockey-crazed Canadians. We could hear cheering in the streets, honking horns and celebrations all over the city when our team won. Strangers high-fiving pedestrians as they walked by, we were one country united by our passion for hockey - not unlike when we cheered Canada against the Russians in the 1970s.

Touching a lucky Loonie placed on the railing at the Canada-Norway men's hockey game at Canada Hockey Place was special since it was the first game in the tournament and set the tone and high expectations.To qualify for the Men's Hockey Quarter-Finals, Canada had to win against Germany after a disappointing result against Team USA. With over 10 million Canadian viewers that meant that almost one and three Canadians watched the game. Astounding! No doubt why all Canadians collectively exhaled and experienced a collective sigh of relief when their national pride and identity were reinforced when we won both gold medals in Canada's national game, Men's and Ladies' Ice Hockey!

While Canada won more gold than any other Winter Games, it is the memories and experiences that we cherish most! Here are some of our fondest!

Timeline of Highlights:

Getting tickets to Olympic events was challenging and expensive. We feel lucky to have gotten any tickets. since the competition for tickets was fierce. Almost 98%!o(MISSING)f all available tickets were sold as soon as they were released. Here are some of the events we attended and enjoyed:


• On February 16th, we attended the only Men's hockey match at Canada Hockey Place - Canada played Norway in the preliminary round. We then headed to the Vancouver Victory Ceremony at BC Place Stadium to watch the Barenaked Ladies on Nova Scotia
Cowbells, Canadians, and  Cheers!!Cowbells, Canadians, and  Cheers!!Cowbells, Canadians, and Cheers!!

Papa Canuck worked up a thirst cheering Canada's Men's Hockey Team at Canada Hockey Place!
Night with live medal presentations in men’s and ladies’ snowboard cross, as well as men’s 500-metre speed skating.
• On February 17th, we headed out to the UBC Thunderbird Stadium to watch the Women's Preliminary Hockey round when Canada trampled Sweden.
• On February 19th, we attended Ice Dance Compulsory Dance at the Pacific Coliseum to see the Canadians start to ice dance their way to a gold medal, the first and youngest North Americans to win a gold medal.
• On February 20th, we lined up at Waterfront Station wondering if we would make it on time to see the Mens 1500m Speed Skating Final at the Richmond Olympic Oval.
• On February 26th, the Travelling Canucks headed to the Richmond Oval for the 12:30 start of the Men's and Ladies Team Pursuit Qualification and then returned home to watch the Men's Hockey Semi-Final when Canada played Slovakia.
• We watched the gold medal Men's Curling match after Mama Canuck slipped and fell on a muddy slope at Queen Elizabeth Park and had to sit in muddy pants all match.


TV Highlights:


• On February 12th, we watched the Opening Ceremonies held at BC Place Stadium.
• On February 27th, we watched
Sea of Red & WhiteSea of Red & WhiteSea of Red & White

Canada's Hockey Team
the Bronze Medal Men's Hockey Game and watched the Gold Medal Women's Hockey Game.
• On February 28th, we watched the Gold Medal Men's Hockey Game and Closing Ceremonies held at BC Place Stadium.

Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games Highlights and Memories of a Lifetime




• Following the Olympic Torch Relay across Canada online and in downtown Vancouver. See blog titled at Memories of Vancouver 2010 Torch Relayto find out what it felt like to be there!
• Visiting Canada's Northern House on West Hastings Street that showcased the culture of Canada's three Northern territories including demonstrations of traditional Arctic games, craft displays and live musical events-See blog titled at Our Great White North Adventure at Canada's Northern Housefor a glimpse into why we liked this pavillion the best of all.
• Pin collecting - See blog titled Pinheads & Pin-Ups On the Hunt for Vancouver 2010 Olympic Pins for all of the fun the Travelling Canucks experienced entering the mysterious world of Olympic pin trading!
• Visiting BC Pavilion at the Vancouver Art Gallery on the first day before the extraordinary line-ups, standing under the Ziptrek where line-ups exceeded 7 hours for 1000 ziptrekkers per day who zipped over 170 metres (550'😉 or six stories over Robson Square from perch to perch high above the law courts and crowds, watching Ignite the Dream Lightshow light
Sunny Skies and SmilesSunny Skies and SmilesSunny Skies and Smiles

Everyone on the streets were smiling and having fun!
up the sky with pyrotechnics, lasers, lights, projected images, with soundtrack and performers zipping across Robson Square with 10s of thousands of cheering crowds.
• Hanging out at: BC Live where B.C. musicians and artists representing all regions and cultures offering family entertainment to world-beat fusion to B.C.’s best indie bands; BC Street Jam where we enjoyed the unique talents of the best of B.C.’s street artists, including the Bigger Balloon Guy;and, GE Ice Plaza where we ice skated.
• Watching Alexandre Bilodou on multiple plasma screens at the Bell Ice Cube being interviewed with his mentally challenged brother for the first time after winning Canada's first gold won on Canadian soil and Mama Canuck moved to tears.
• Heading to Vanier Park to see the amazing nightly light display call Vectorial Elevation and then going on line and designing our very own vectorial elevation.
• Eating fondue and other swiss specialities at Swiss House at Bridges on Granville Island - a favorite Travelling Canucks hangout during the Games.
• Posting Canuck Junior photographs on Canada Code and receiving deserved recognition for her photographic eye.
• Enjoyed the numerous aboriginal showcases that featured the talents, traditions and contemporary expressions of B.C.’s Aboriginal people. We admired Musqueam artist Susan Point's artwork and Coast Salish artist demonstrations in the First Nations Carving Exhibit.
• Lining up at Atlantic Canada House at Granville Island for over an hour to watch Atlantic Canada On Deck's performances, especially George Canyon, a country music star who sang The Hockey Song - a Canadian anthem. Although we were unable to see Ashley McIsaac at the Atlantic Canada Kitchen Party at the Backstage Lounge, he made a guest appearance during George Canyon's set and later we stood outside in the rain listening to his concert from outside the venue.
• Going to the newly opened SFU Experimental Theatre at the Woodward's building to see Robert Lepage's highly acclaimed Blue Dragon, a highlight of the Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad. Although we enjoyed the performances and multi-media set, Canuck Junior was not as impressed as the theatre reviewers.
• Watching the Opening Ceremonies and lighting of the Olympic Cauldron for the first time and lining up for hours to get a close-up view!
• Hanging out at LiveCity Yaletown featuring giant screens and live performances.
• Canuck Junior's memories of working at the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Store including her first day of paid work, which was met with apprehension when the
Canada Hockey PlaceCanada Hockey PlaceCanada Hockey Place

Hockey is Canada's Religion - Ice Rinks our Shrines!
Anti-Olympic hooligans vandalized The Bay and surrounding streets just a few hours before starting her first shift; working the 3pm to midnight shift; shoppers hounding her about finding the ever-elusive red mittens, Vancouver 2010 scarves and numerous other hot items that were sold out; sneaking around the Bay to avoid the 4 hour line-ups to get into the Olympic Superstore;and, meeting Vince Vaughn looking for a USA hockey jersey.


When one of the most sucessful Winter Olympics on record came to an end, the Travelling Canucks felt a sadness wash over them. It was the Olympic-sized let down that we were not prepared for. Canada had broken its medal record at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, won the coveted gold medals in Men's and Ladies' Ice Hockey, and won kudos for hosting one of the most successful Winter Games. Why did it all have to come to an end?

Everyone has a unique Olympic experience. The Travelling Canucks invite you to share yours. We hope the 2012 Summer Olympics being hosted in London later this summer will be safe, successful and memorable for Londoners, visitors and athletes alike.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Cheering Canadians!Cheering Canadians!
Cheering Canadians!

Decibel levels unheard of!
Barenaked LadiesBarenaked Ladies
Barenaked Ladies

Not Canuck Junior though!
Travelling Canucks at UBC Thunderbird ArenaTravelling Canucks at UBC Thunderbird Arena
Travelling Canucks at UBC Thunderbird Arena

Cool chicks with hot tickets!
Canadian Fans Go All Out!Canadian Fans Go All Out!
Canadian Fans Go All Out!

Cheering fans paint the stadiums red! Red costumes, signs, and flags are everywhere.
Canadians With Glowing HeartsCanadians With Glowing Hearts
Canadians With Glowing Hearts

at UBC Thunderbird Stadium
Olympic Cauldron Lights Vancouver's FireOlympic Cauldron Lights Vancouver's Fire
Olympic Cauldron Lights Vancouver's Fire

Inspiring future Olympians!


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb